• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Awesome pen-making video

Jim

Grand Master
What pen? I saw some parts being made and a nib ... :thinks:

Wouldn't mind being able to do what he did thou ... :whistling:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I don't consider that he made a pen, he pressed some buttons and turned some handles.
The machine did the work for him, unlike us-----------------

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Personally I enjoyed the line-drawing on the video. When he retracts the drill bit from the blank and the line drawing matches up exactly to the drill flutes ... Yeah yeah, I know - I'm easily pleased!

:face:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Was it a CNC metal lathe or a metal lathe with a DRO?
If it a metal lathe with a DRO you still have do all the hard work turning, the DRO just gives you accurate measurements.

As I say it depends on your defintion of hard work. Personally I don't consider turning a handle to be hard hard work but hey, each to their own.
Come with me for a day and see how many blisters you have at the end of it.
All I am saying here is that the machine does the work for you unlike doing it by hand as we do on our wood turning lathes.
Tell me I am wrong but I liken it to a woman putting clothes in a washing machine then sitting down with a cuppa and saying what hard work she has been doing with all the washing.
Get real.

Jim

Grand Master
As I say it depends on your defintion of hard work. Personally I don't consider turning a handle to be hard hard work but hey, each to their own.
Come with me for a day and see how many blisters you have at the end of it.
All I am saying here is that the machine does the work for you unlike doing it by hand as we do on our wood turning lathes.
Tell me I am wrong but I liken it to a woman putting clothes in a washing machine then sitting down with a cuppa and saying what hard work she has been doing with all the washing.
Get real.

I agree George, not hard at all, but skilful. :thumbs:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
It very skill full as if you are using a dro that reads as 0.000 it can take a long time to get it to the perfect size but on my course I am studying next year the tolerance is 0.001 which is so small so that is hard work

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I think we will have to beg to differ on this one young man, come back in 10 yrs time when you have some experience.

Jim

Grand Master
It clearly shows how we all feel about certain things, me personally believe things to be easier if i have done it regular, now someone who is just starting out and finds it difficult in time will find it easy. This is how we learn ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).