• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Polymer Clay pens

Jim Queen

Apprentice Member
First Name
jim
Firstly thank you all for letting me become a member of the Penturner's Forum, I have really enjoyed looking around the site and seeing some wonderful pens. I have been turning for the past couple of years and really enjoy the craft, making all the usual things like bowls, wine glasses etc, but really enjoy making pens, mostly in wood and acrylics and lately casting my own blanks with clear resin. having seen some of the wonderful polymer clay pens on the site I would like to try my hand at making some of these so I am looking for some help and tips as to where to buy the clay from and how to go about making the pens etc. any help greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Jim

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Jim but... how about showing us some pictures of your work?

With regards to turning mud into pens, Woody is the guru and he'll no doubt be along soon to help you out.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Don't do it!!!! Run for the hills, the men in their white will be after you.

Jim Queen

Apprentice Member
First Name
jim
I would be happy to show some of my pens Paul but can't seem to upload any photo's, any help greatly appreciated.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
OH, I think you may have to have made a certain amount of posts before you can put up a picture.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Welcome to the Asylum Jim, you will have fun here I'm sure mate, looking forward to seeing your pictures!...

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Poly clay, good source is you tube search for polymer clay canes. One of best is an Italian woman but she does English ish videos as well.

Hobbycraft sell the clay online the 50g packs are a good size to start with although a larger white will help with blending colurs. Stick to one brand as well or they can not mix properly when you need to blend them. If you can steal a pasta machine from er indoors that really helps. Do a search on YouTube for Skinner Blend, it's a technique that forma a base for a lot of the flower type canes.

Other thing is make sure you know the difference between deg C and deg F or they come out a fetching shade of black as Woody will testify :funny:

That should give you a good start anything else give us a shout and well see if we can help.

Cheers

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Jim and welcome poly clay is new to most of us on this forum some of us are still experimenting I got my first lot of canes from Ronit on Etsy and I have just got some from ebay I have had a go at making some canes but it isnt as easy as it looks make one mistake and thats it very un forgiving but a lot of fun

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Jim .. You can add pictures once 2 posts have been made my friend .. Should you still need help in adding images, this should help .. Click Me :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome from the far east of Australia weathers getting beautiful have fun in your quest for the golden fleece in pens whatever material you choose.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi there and welcome to the forum, there is tons of advice on here. Search polymer clay and you will pick up all that has gone on over the last few weeks. I use Fimo polymer Clay but there are other clays available. I get mine from hobby craft. Cane making is the way to go. I brought my first lot from Ronit Golan on Esty but you can make your own. I have started doing my own but it ain't that easy! Although it is enjoyable. There is plenty of advice on utube.

Have a look at this link it also opens up loads of other links about Polymer Clay.

PTownSubbie.com - How to Make Flower Polymer Clay Canes for Pen Blanks

Take no notice of what Grump says as I really think he loves it but won't admit it.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).