• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi From Newbury - Bit of help please

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Hi - Just started to get into "thinking" about making something after looking through some of the lovely stuff on here.

I don't yet have any kit but I have seen a second hand Axminster lathe and wondered if anyone could give me a steer on what to look for - How old it's likely to be and what sort of money I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the great inspiration!

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 70

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure you can tell exactly how old it is, it's not the latest model, it was replaced within the last year, I have one and it has been superb. I think the new price was £200 I bought mine from Axminster new on offer for £16?.00 I wouldn't pay more than £150 for a 2nd hand one I would probably go for the newer model depending on my budget at the time.

Peter

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Thanks Peter - Just trying to balance on the learning curve at the moment so all help appreciated !

Andy

Paul

Fellow
Well, get the biggest you can afford. I got a dml305. Lovely machine one year in and I want to do bigger stuff. So just think about max sizes of wood and if you want to do large bowls be prepared to buy a second lathe. Soon!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It does depend what you want to do with your lathe, I have a bigger lathe, but I bought the Axminster just for pens, although I have done other things on it. If it's just for pens it's more than good enough. Some people have a downer on Axminster lathes, but mine is great and so are the one we have at the club. In the end it's up to you how much you have to spend.

Peter

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Hi Andy, welcome, just avoid the Hobby range of Axminster lathes and you should be ok. Axminster also have an offer of the Jet 1220 at the moment, reduced from about £450 to £343. This model is being replaced by the 1221 so they are selling off the old stock. I have one and it's superb. Hope that helps.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Hi Andy, welcome, just avoid the Hobby range of Axminster lathes and you should be ok. Axminster also have an offer of the Jet 1220 at the moment, reduced from about £450 to £343. This model is being replaced by the 1221 so they are selling off the old stock. I have one and it's superb. Hope that helps.
I disagree total with that I have the same model as the one in the picture and it is amazing what it withstands it has more then it rated for I have never ever had a problem with it

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I disagree total with that I have the same model as the one in the picture and it is amazing what it withstands it has more then it rated for I have never ever had a problem with it

Same here, although the digital readout did start playing up, but the sent me a new one and it was fitted within minutes. If it ever happens again the I wouldn't bother as I don't really need to see the speed it's turning at. Based on how good it has been I would have no problem having another one.

Peter

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Same here, although the digital readout did start playing up, but the sent me a new one and it was fitted within minutes. If it ever happens again the I wouldn't bother as I don't really need to see the speed it's turning at. Based on how good it has been I would have no problem having another one.

Peter
Yep the same here

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have a hobby one wich I regret now buying if I had the money I would be buying the Jet 1220.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi Andy & welcome to the forum :waver:

As you will no doubt realise opinion on Axminster own brand gear is divided & I will admit to not liking it.
That said if you can buy it at a cheap enough price it will always be worth a punt, personally I wouldn't pay more than £50 for it & it would need to be in excellent condition to prise that money from my pocket. :thinks:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I don't think the one pictured is a hobby machine but I was just making the point that if Andy were to go for a different Axminster lathe then avoid the Hobby ones. The trade rated lathes, which the ONE above looks like, are better.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I don't think the one pictured is a hobby machine but I was just making the point that if Andy were to go for a different Axminster lathe then avoid the Hobby ones. The trade rated lathes, which the ONE above looks like, are better.
The one in the picture is hobby rated it from before they changed the colours

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

No, that's a hobby rated one and mine gets used for hours on end, somedays it's used all day long with just a break now and then for me to have a cuppa and it's been like that since I have had it.

Peter

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Thanks for all the info guys - not sure about it now - price was £170 ono and the £50 quid maybe a bridge tto far - maybe I should take a look at the newer ones - really looking forward to it so may need to bite the bullet a bit further !

Will be back for some more advise and many thanks for the welcomes

Andy

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).