• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning speeds

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have a question if you people can help me please?

What are the general speeds used for turning i am hoping to spread my wings a little and have a go at some other projects, such as small bowls and box's, but not quite sure of speeds.? :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
I guess each to there own, but i do believe that there are some guide lines out there somewhere Andy ... :thinks:

Me personally turn bowls in the range of 5" to 8" between 700rpm to a max of 1200rpm ... :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
If you are turning bowls then you need to turn around 800 rpm until the bowl becomes a true round. The best way to look at this is you will see vibration on the wood when turning so you reduce your speed until the vibration stops and then turn until a true round. You can then turn your speed up to around 1500rpm to do your final shaping but bear in mind you should NEVER turn at a speed you feel uncomfortable with until you gain more experience!!!!!:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
That will be printed off and placed near my lathe .. :bwink:

Cheers Mark ... :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).