• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

RIP...Computer Died

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
My computer fried a capacitor in the main board, and have been advised that it is not worthwhile to repair, it is nearly 10 year old.

While in the shop I had a look at what they had I saw these

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...DJBZg7lmRL01sBc8p_uSghA&bvm=bv.46751780,d.aGc

This brand is made in South Aust and has a great reputation in Aust.
It is like an oversize tablet.

Can any one advise of the Pro's or Cons of these. :nooidea:
Fist three advantages I can see is the screen size, and it is portable, I can take it out the the shed, and it hard drive is built in you haven't got that big black box taking up room.

Jim

Grand Master
It has good specs Mark, you have the option of increasing the memory as it has two slots, my downer would be that it doesn't have a card reader ... :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
" card reader" that is important, need one of the to upload my piccys.

For me it is important to, i have a TOM TOM and Camera that uses the card reader. There may be other ways to download but i like the easiest way ... :devil:

trapper

Registered
There are some usb card readers around so it shouldnt be a massive problem. Main problem I guess is that if you need a serial port a lot of the tablets etc cannot cope and you need an external board in a mini housing again not a major problem but not many places stock a usb input serial output card

Jim

Grand Master
I tend to agree with Alex, but i have read good reports about Apple computers .. :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Mark, I had a MacBook for a number of years. Once you've adjusted to the fact that Macs do everything differently they are a pleasure to use, and far less buggy than Windows machines. BUT ... Alex is right, the prices are just breathtaking! I have a Windows machine now because I just couldn't bring myself to cough the thick end of two grand for a new MacBook. Another headache with Macs is that most of the 'freeware' development happens on and for Windows. There is not the richness of options when you're looking for software, and you invariably end up paying more for what there is. Which is a pity, because they are SOOO user-friendly ...

:rolling:

naxie

Registered
These PC's look nice and I can see why people buy them. The problem comes when something goes wrong out of warranty. A lot of the parts inside are non standard and cost an arm and a leg to replace.

If you want portability and don't want a notebook, how about using a normal PC indoors with your old screen, keyboard and mouse and try a tablet for the workshop and portability.

I use a Nexus 7 for most internet stuff, email etc Google Nexus 7 (16GB) - Buy your Google Nexus 7 (16GB) from Kogan Australia

The misses uses a Galaxy Tab2 which is a 10.1" screen but a little pricier.Why do they always seem to have the expensive stuff?:thinks:

Kind regards,
Ed

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).