• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pepper Mill Demo

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I was at the club tonight, Les Thorne gave a demo on pepper mills and I have decided to have a go at some point. He was saying that the majority of the grinding mechanisms are plastic and don't last long. It sounds logical that plastic wouldn't hold up as well as metal and I have heard that the salt can react with the metal. I know people here have made them do you have any concerns about the plastic grinders, does anyone supply metal grinders, if they are better?

Peter

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Peter,

I make quite a few, I use ceramic mechanisms from toolpost.chris wests book turning salt and pepper mills is a great book with some good links to sites for a variety of bits and bobs

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A search of Woodcraft shows 2 types. One stainless steel and the other ceramic. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Terry, I believe the Peugeot mechanisms are the best, but it is trying to get hold of the that's the problem. I have sorces for ceramic and stainless ones, but wanted to know what people thought of the ones readily available here.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter,

I make quite a few, I use ceramic mechanisms from toolpost.chris wests book turning salt and pepper mills is a great book with some good links to sites for a variety of bits and bobs

Thanks for that, I was surprised that Les Thorne could actually change my mind and make me want to make a few, or at least 1. Have you has any returns from broken mechanisms? It maybe just Les hyping his mechanisms, but he reckons most of the plastic stuff is a waste of time, but I have a plastic mechanism in a battery operated pepper mill and it is still going strong after about 6 years. Yes, I know you said you use ceramic, but have you had any problems with those?

Peter

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Peter,

Sorry about the delay in replying was trying to find my copy of Chris Wests book to post some of the links therein, but cant find it.

Havent had any specific problems with any style of mill due to the material, more so the cost, buy cheap buy twice. The cheap ones dont do it for me. Tried the crushgrind, really couldnt be fussed with all the rebates required to fit the thing, over engineered in my opinion so gave up and use the ceramic from Tool post for both salt and pepper so theres no issues of salt in the steel mill.

One thing I learnt from first attempts was that it was best to get some spares of the screws and a few really small drill bits first as anyone but a ten year old is going to drop the screws and lose them which is really infuriating as the high street (in general) dont sell them small enough!

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I have made a couple using the crush grind mechanisms as Neil says a bit of faffing about drilling acurate rebates,Have not tried any others yet myself

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter,

Sorry about the delay in replying was trying to find my copy of Chris Wests book to post some of the links therein, but cant find it.

Havent had any specific problems with any style of mill due to the material, more so the cost, buy cheap buy twice. The cheap ones dont do it for me. Tried the crushgrind, really couldnt be fussed with all the rebates required to fit the thing, over engineered in my opinion so gave up and use the ceramic from Tool post for both salt and pepper so theres no issues of salt in the steel mill.

One thing I learnt from first attempts was that it was best to get some spares of the screws and a few really small drill bits first as anyone but a ten year old is going to drop the screws and lose them which is really infuriating as the high street (in general) dont sell them small enough!

I have ordered the "Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills" book I do fancy trying the crush grind if only because that's what Les Thorne demo'd but I will also try the other kind. I'll wait until I get the book before ordering any mechanisms although I have looked around and various places do them so I should be okay for choice. I will be buying quality mechanisms as if I give these as presents I don't want them to pack up after a few months. I might even make one for myself.

Thanks for the info.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have made a couple using the crush grind mechanisms as Neil says a bit of faffing about drilling acurate rebates,Have not tried any others yet myself

Fortunately Les Thorne gave some excellent tips that made drilling the rebates look easy enough and when the book comes that may have some further tips. I do fancy the crush grind rather than the type that has a nut on the top.

Peter

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I have the Chris west book but have not made any out of the book he uses both types of mechanism have a look at constable woodcrafts for mechanisms..for the crush grind you have to make an accurate recess a special tool or you could adapt something to suit
Axminster sell a Woodcut boring tool that simplifyes drilling I just use Fostner bits You nee 7/8 1" 11/4 1/1/2 1/3/4 or metric equivqlents Chris west has a tutorial on his sit be carefull if you follow it its easy to miss a step.I saw a utube video they were cutting the lugs off and just glueing them in.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Fortunately Les Thorne gave some excellent tips that made drilling the rebates look easy enough and when the book comes that may have some further tips. I do fancy the crush grind rather than the type that has a nut on the top.

Peter

If its the physical presence of the nut that you dont like Chris' book has a site which stocks a range of recessed nuts and other bits that allows you to adapt the standard nut on the top kits.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Peter,

Thanks Neil, I bought a plastic one over a year ago and never got around to making it because I thought the quality resembled used food. I might just have a go at one of these. Is ceramic or stainless better in your opinion?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have the Chris west book but have not made any out of the book he uses both types of mechanism have a look at constable woodcrafts for mechanisms..for the crush grind you have to make an accurate recess a special tool or you could adapt something to suit
Axminster sell a Woodcut boring tool that simplifyes drilling I just use Fostner bits You nee 7/8 1" 11/4 1/1/2 1/3/4 or metric equivqlents Chris west has a tutorial on his sit be carefull if you follow it its easy to miss a step.I saw a utube video they were cutting the lugs off and just glueing them in.

I looked at constable and yes I realise it needs a special tool, but that is easy to make so I will give those sort a try. Les did say that it is easier just to cut the lugs off and glue them in, but I have to try at least one without gluing. I have all the sawtooth forstners so no expense for those. I saw one of the boring tools and apparently they do chatter until you have got both cutting bits engaged, but I will try it with normal bits.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If its the physical presence of the nut that you dont like Chris' book has a site which stocks a range of recessed nuts and other bits that allows you to adapt the standard nut on the top kits.

The one's I saw demo'd didn't have the nut and I really thought they looked so much better. I just looked again at the battery operated pepper mill I have and it is ceramic not plastic, it's only a plastic collar that hold the mechanism in at the bottom.

Thanks Neil, I bought a plastic one over a year ago and never got around to making it because I thought the quality resembled used food. I might just have a go at one of these. Is ceramic or stainless better in your opinion?

I can't remember whether it was Les Thorne who said, or I read it somewhere, that if it was a peugeot mechanism which is SS that is the best, but the ceramic was better than than the other SS mechs. I have no idea whether that is true or not, I am just repeating what I was told or read.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).