• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel saver, my version (another of my silly ideas) or has it already been done?

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
A thread about mandrel savers gave me an idea,
Having looked at what is on the market and the stupid prices of them I decided I could make an alternative, but would what I have in my head even work never mind be any better, it will certainly be cheaper.

I had analysed the way a mandrel saver works as basically a live centre with a hole and relies upon the tailstock to apply the necessary pressure, surely this can not be hard to replicate.

Being away from home I don’t have the resources around that I am aware of but I kept my eyes open and eventually sourced for no cost exactly what I was looking for.
The battery clamping rod from an old motor vehicle is exactly the right diameter for a mandrel rod. And a bright steel 15mm rod from a disused printer.

A suitable bribe got me an hour in the machine shop before opening time.

I set about doing the hard work of turning a handle and pressing a button or two.

Cut the battery rod to size threaded two ends and cut and drilled the printer rod, added a corresponding thread and a suitable 60 degree cone for the centre tapers.
Mop my brow after all that hard effort and see what I have created.
This is not so much precision engineering but a prototype and time restrictions prohibit accuracy.
I am strictly off limits in this workshop.
P1070468.resized.JPG
P1070470.resized.JPG
P1070471.resized.JPG

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
It all sizes up reasonably well but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. This is designed to work as a single or double part mandrel for turning between centres.
It fits together so snug with no play or flex it must work, over to the wood turning lathe with the first piece of wood I can grasp and set about drilling the blanks. Time up I'll have to continue this elsewhere or come back tomorrow.

Managed to get some time to get into the village and use Ozvaldo's treadle lathe and turned this pen with my new setup and I have to say I am impressed with it, I used it with one piece and I used it with two pieces and both work equally well no quibble, wobble, stress or strain.
P1070474.resized.JPG
P1070478.resized.JPG
P1070474.resized.JPG

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
The pen itself is nothing special in fact it is not one of my best at all I felt so rushed whilst turning it I didn't take much time to finish it. It could have had some more rubbing down and it only had two coats of cellulose lacquer.
I do hope I am back in Uk before the workshop boss finds he has a leg shorter than the others on his office chair.
P1070481.resized.JPG
P1070478.resized.JPG

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I really like it looks like something you'll use all the time use it with sleeves for all the kits well done.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Innovation 10/10 .. Thanks for sharing George, i am sure this will be copied my friend. :thumbs:

A suitable bribe got me an hour in the machine shop before opening time.

Now this shows your travelling experience ... :whistling:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I'm running out of superlatives, George! Just when we think we've seen it all from you you raise the bar again. This would work just as well if you had a scroll chuck in the headstock and a jacobs or collet chuck in the tailstock. Only caveat would be that the tailstock has to be very accurately aligned with the headstock, but that's true of normal mandrels too.

I'm a little envious of your adventures with the treadle lathe, in the spirit of actually DOING something as opposed to just pressing buttons that must be extremely satisfying!

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
For you bigger pens like barons etc turn your 15mm rod down to the correct size of the of bushing then recess it down to the tube sze,
then you wont need the battery clamping rod, I hate to think of the British army going in to combat with there batteries bouncing around loose. :lmao:

BTW why didn't you cut the other three legs shorter on workshop boss chair? Then he wouldn't know the difference:duh:.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I'm a little envious of your adventures with the treadle lathe, in the spirit of actually DOING something as opposed to just pressing buttons that must be extremely satisfying!

I have now got the hang of it but it is farcical to watch. It is so antiquated but practical and necessary for his business to function.
I think I heard a song recently "Rhythm is the answer" that is so true of this practice, I am developing rhythm.
The power here works when they can be bothered to send some and the climate lends itself to working outside in the cool of the evening.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
BTW why didn't you cut the other three legs shorter on workshop boss chair? Then he wouldn't know the difference.

If the wood had any character I would have, time was getting short and it propped up nicely against his desk as it was.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
WE made things like this twenty years ago the phases are on a roundabout lotsa wobbles in these.

Peter.

I have to say I am impressed with it, I used it with one piece and I used it with two pieces and both work equally well no quibble, wobble, stress or strain.

Why don't people read before writing?

It will only wobble if it's slack, if it's slack it don't been made to fit, if it don't been made too fit, it do been made the way you always complain about init?
Do it right in the first place and it don't gotta be done again.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome Scots Bill no one owns or has a mortgage on perfection on how to most things be yourself and kick in however you feel. Over here we are fairly self sufficient inclined to say it as it is always ready to help and do.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Why don't people read before writing?

It will only wobble if it's slack, if it's slack it don't been made to fit, if it don't been made too fit, it do been made the way you always complain about init?
Do it right in the first place and it don't gotta be done again.

Noble thoughts I have a great mate he engineers to perfection his son also both Gunsmiths he the son is a perfectionist but really puts a lot of time in the appearance.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).