• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Giving up.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's it I have had enuff init?

I have in the past warned you of the dangers of casting your own blanks but you won't listen.

Isocyanate is a killer, the more exposure you have, the more sensitive you become.
I know my symptoms and the treatments and have to act immediately.
With every exposure it gets worse, I have just left hospital having had a tube down my throat to allow me to breath.
My insides swell up squeezing bits together and stopping things from functioning correctly, skin burns, itches and swells up too.
It has gone down an awful lot overnight with the treatment at Hospital but I will be in pain and discomfort all week now.
Here's my selfie with a bag of maris pipers under my nose.
You don't know what discomfort is until you have a go at this, it's like sitting in a bath of acid.

IMG_20141013_090638.jpg

Somehow something has crept into my shed and sneaked past my vetting system.
Dunno what yet but when I find out the supplier will be hearing, I am pissed off with people hiding things they shouldn't be doing.
Check your data sheets with all your chemicals, ensure date is valid and you are aware of what you are using.
If I hadn't experienced this before I could have died last night.
Start's with what you think is a cold and ends up choking the life from you.

Be Warned..............................

Somebody is hiding H&S data

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
At least you caught it in time. Have you been playing with anything different lately or do you think it is just continued exposure? When I use resin I have to wear a vapour mask or I fall down and have a sore throat and headaches for quite a while, only did that twice then I got the message.

Take care and wear a vapour mask (in the shed) until you find out what it is.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bloody Nora Brian you take care mate do you reckon using CA will do the same to people given the same sort of exposure you have had in the past with these chemicals

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Bloody Hell Brian its a good job you are packing in making the blanks if this is what it is doing to you.

:goesred:Vic:goesred:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It was one of Brian's warnings years ago that stopped me from trying out resins bloody saw dust is enough for me even with dust control

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
:eeeeek: :eeeeek: :eeeeek: :eeeeek:

Bloody hell mate looks like you gone a couple of rounds with Tyson, I sincerely hope your recovery is swift, it looks like you will struggle to eat.:nooidea:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bloody Nora Brian you take care mate do you reckon using CA will do the same to people given the same sort of exposure you have had in the past with these chemicals

I don't wanna scare monger but That is the only thing I have used that is different.
I have not used any solvents or resins for the last 12 years since the last time I suffered this.
I can't even use shaving foam I am that sensitive to it.
There are no solvents in my shed, ca has not done this to me before but I opened a different one on Saturday.
I keep spirits and solvents in a separate shed and get someone else to apply them with me well out of the way.

I have turned probably half a goodly sized tree of Yew in the last week or two and was feeling some ill effects which I blamed on that.
It all became very familiar last night and I got myself rushed in pretty damn quick.
My first day at work today too, buggered that init?

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
It was one of Brian's warnings years ago that stopped me from trying out resins bloody saw dust is enough for me even with dust control

I also worry about the effects that CA glue may cause. The slightest exposure to it burns the back of my throat and makes my eyes water, it may be that I am just sensitive to it but without industrial grade fume removal I have decided to steer clear. When you look at the problems Brian has has with casting it makes you think that is it worth trying to save a few bob doing your own when there are loads of stunning blanks commercially available

:thinks:Vic:thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A little info but you are all capable of your own research and making up your own minds.
I will just say that even when you think your safe from it, think again init?
Love you all and want to avoid this happening to you and yours init?

Isocyanates are compounds containing the isocyanate group (-NCO). They react with compounds containing alcohol (hydroxyl) groups to produce polyurethane polymers, which are components of polyurethane foams, thermoplastic elastomers, spandex fibers, and polyurethane paints. Isocyanates are the raw materials that make up all polyurethane products. Jobs that may involve exposure to isocyanates include painting, foam-blowing, and the manufacture of many Polyurethane products, such as chemicals, polyurethane foam, insulation materials, surface coatings, car seats, furniture, foam mattresses, under-carpet padding, packaging materials, shoes, laminated fabrics, polyurethane rubber, and adhesives, and during the thermal degradation of polyurethane products.

Health effects of isocyanate exposure include irritation of skin and mucous membranes, chest tightness, and difficult breathing. Isocyanates include compounds classified as potential human carcinogens and known to cause cancer in animals. The main effects of hazardous exposures are occupational asthma and other lung problems, as well as irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Isocyanates are compounds containing the isocyanate group (-NCO). They react with compounds containing alcohol

No wonder the reaction was so bad with you mate :whistling:

Apologies for the humour Brian but I nearly spat me tea out when I read that :goesred::goesred:

Best wishes my friend:pray::pray:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I also worry about the effects that CA glue may cause. The slightest exposure to it burns the back of my throat and makes my eyes water, it may be that I am just sensitive to it but without industrial grade fume removal I have decided to steer clear. When you look at the problems Brian has has with casting it makes you think that is it worth trying to save a few bob doing your own when there are loads of stunning blanks commercially available

I use a lot of ca and previously used it (stupidly) without proper protection (dust protection isn't enough). I ended up like Brian being unable to breath properly and gasping for air for nearly 3 days. Just a sniff of ca now sets me off again and have had to invest in a good respirator which has an organic filter.

For everyone with the Trend masks please note that unless you have an organic filter the helmet will actively push the ca fumes into your face!!!

IF YOU'RE USING CA YOU NEED AN ORGANIC FILTER... sorry for shouting!

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Brian I wish you well with your recovery and thanks for the tip off and information

On the lighter side of your problem. I have never ever used resins or CA so how do you explain this

:bwink:Vic:bwink:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 52

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

I only ever use the stuff outside now Vic for the same reason pluss I end up having difficulty breathing after using it in small doses its not to bad like a few drops any more and I'm off but at one time it had very little effect

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
M
I use a lot of ca and previously used it (stupidly) without proper protection (dust protection isn't enough). I ended up like Brian being unable to breath properly and gasping for air for nearly 3 days. Just a sniff of ca now sets me off again and have had to invest in a good respirator which has an organic filter.

For everyone with the Trend masks please note that unless you have an organic filter the helmet will actively push the ca fumes into your face!!!

IF YOU'RE USING CA YOU NEED AN ORGANIC FILTER... sorry for shouting!

Paul I can see where you are coming from by insisting that the correct type of mask is a must for the chemicals that you are using.
In my days in H&S PPE was the last resort to turn to in the hierarchy of controls for any safe method of work.
I personally have decided to reduce the risk competely by not using these products.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Spoke to Brian last night and he sounded rough as a badgers bum. He thought it was a cold. Get well soon mate, hope it hasnt affected the job.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Brian I wish you well with your recovery and thanks for the tip off and information

On the lighter side of your problem. I have never ever used resins or CA so how do you explain this

:bwink:Vic:bwink:

You went out for a drink, came home and fell ar*e over tit?

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).