• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Soapstone

Pendragon

Apprentice Member
I have got hold of a few large blocks of soapstone. I have seen some beautiful pens that use this material but I have never tried it before. Can anyone give me some advice on how best to work this material - how best to cut it, what turning tools work best etc. Many thanks.

Jim

Grand Master
Many thanks Jim, that link has got me started nicely - I was expecting more trouble but it appears fairly ok apart from the nasty dust

If you decide to turn some pens with it PD i would be grateful if you could show us the finished items ... :thumbs:

Pendragon

Apprentice Member
Will certainly do that. Not doing anything at present as went to my sons stag do in Malaga 3 weeks ago, fell down the steps of the villa and broke my shoulder. As soon as it mends I will be back on the lathe.

Jim

Grand Master
Oooo, that must have been painful PD, i wish you a rapid recovery .. :thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I have some soap stone, when you turn it the dust is smooth like talc or french chalk it turns easy.Frankie

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Watched a guy in Turkey turning the material outdoors making beautiful turned boxes etc on a primitive metal lathe, very impressed wont use it in my workshop because of the excessive dust.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).