• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What else do I need

broadsea

First Name
John
Hi folks, told you I would be looking for plenty of help, so here we go. I have blanks, going to buy small jaws to hold the blank. So what else do I need? I have heard of bushes but not sure what they are or their use. I assume that I will need a drill piece. Is it a 7mm drill? Type of lacquer for finishing, can I use Liberon Polish?..................so many questions. Hope I do not sound thick, but its hard to concentrate and read about things because of my PTSD. I have found that their is a grate bunch of guys on here and I must thank you all very much for the help given to me, even tough I have only been on the form for over one week.:thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
STOP!

What have you got to start with? You have a lathe, but do you have alive centre?
Do you have a mandrel?
Bushes are metal cylinders with a hole through the centre that thread through the centre on to the mandrel.
Do you have a drill press, if so you may chose not to buy they jaws for your chuck at the moment?
Different pens use different size metal tubes running through the centre, so the drill size will depend on the type of pen you are making. The slimline variety which is the starting point for most, although it can be one of the most challenging (cheapest to cock up though) takes a 7mm drill. The best style of drill is a 7mm dewalt extreme 2 drill bit available from screwfix (they do 7,8,10mm, no imperial in this country unfortunately).

In terms of finish you can pt almost anything on, and you will get some wacky ideas from here if the inmates have been let out on remand. Starting point is a sealer such as chestnut acrylic sealer in a can and a friction polish, again chestnut do a good one.

Think you would be advised to make an investment in a book on the subject, Walter Hall has written a good book on the subject Pen & Pencil Projects: Amazon.co.uk: Walter Hall: Books, and whilst some of the items are for the future, it'll give you a better overview of your new hobby and perhaps assist with some prudent purchases.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
There are some 7mm bushes on the way to you John, being picked up tomorrow. The best drills are the 7mm dewalt extreme from Screwfix. You can use any polish you want to finish it with but most people use either ca (superglue) or wax. It would be best to start with wax as you will get better results initially and ca fumes are very toxic. You will also need a dust mask which is very important as some woods are toxic as well if not just irritants.

When I started I used to put the blank in a vice and just drill the hole with a drill, no frills. I have put some larger blanks in that should allow you to do this.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
John I have found the chuck you require with the arbour. Don't worry about drill bits as I will send you a virtually full set of brand new top quality jobber bits as well. Can you please pm me your address and I'll get them in the post to you !!!!

Paul

Fellow
Request the style and bates catalogue as there is a guide on making a simple pen. ( loads on web too )

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Well hows your head now John, lol with that lot of info you should at least get started all good help given so far, loads of videos for pen turning on you tube as well mate! good luck! :wink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
John I have some of the hut polish wax sticks I will send you so no need to get any polish you will probably want to try other finishes as time goes by but the hut sticks will last you for years
Start with the lathe running fast then just run the brown stick along the wood a few times then buff then apply the buff colour stick in the same manner and buff repeat with the buff stick till your happy with the finish job done

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Get Walter Halls book on Pen Turning it tells you absolutely everything that you will need to know. To me it's my Pen Turning Bible

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
John there should be a set of bushes on your new mandrel for the slimline pens if you want to do a different type of pen then just buy the bushes for your chosen kit when you buy the kits give Dan on here a look he is very reasonable with his prices you will find him in buy & sell Pen Turning Forums

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
In terms of finish you can pt almost anything on, and you will get some wacky ideas from here if the inmates have been let out on remand. Starting point is a sealer such as chestnut acrylic sealer in a can and a friction polish, again chestnut do a good one.

I agree with Neil here John. You will get all sorts of suggestions and most of them will be good, but friction polish over sanding sealer is a great place to start. It gives a good shiny finish and is reasonably robust. Best of all though is that it is dead easy to apply. You can even use Woody's Hut sticks over the top of it for added protection.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
John it's not just the advice you get but it's the generosity of the members which make this a great forum to be a member of. Good luck with your turning.:thumbs:

broadsea

First Name
John
Hi Woody
I have had a look at Dans site and as you said he is very reasonable. Since he is a member I will certainly use him. With all the help I have been given here I feel its only right to use anyone on here who sells products. Thanks for pointing me in his direction.

John

broadsea

First Name
John
Bill you are so right. I never dreamed that I would get so much support. Its definately the best forum that I have seen

John

First Name
Dan
Hi Woody
I have had a look at Dans site and as you said he is very reasonable. Since he is a member I will certainly use him. With all the help I have been given here I feel its only right to use anyone on here who sells products. Thanks for pointing me in his direction.

John
Thank you for that. If I can help you I of course will, it I can't I will point you in the right direction. Feel free to drop me an email before ordering off the site as depending on what you are looking for I might be able to sort you out a deal.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thank you for that. If I can help you I of course will, it I can't I will point you in the right direction. Feel free to drop me an email before ordering off the site as depending on what you are looking for I might be able to sort you out a deal.

Dan, you gave us a code for a % of everything on your website, I was going to order, but I can't find where to put the code in, has it gone, or is it just hiding from me?

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I know the code, but where does it go?

Peter

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
This is what I made with odd bits I hand around the work shop (I am squirrel for odd bits ) to assemble my pens 100_2119[1].jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).