• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Corian Supplies

trapper

Registered
I need to find a source of corian for thicker than the usual 12/13 mm blanks. I need 15 - 17mm but unfortunately owing to the application the option of laminating some blocks together is not viable.................. found out the hard way:down:

I'm looking for granite ,black or cream/white , Anyone got any ideas?

trapper

Registered
Well waiting on a response......... I've also dealt with a guy in Ulster in the past but sadly lost his details. I need them to make hand levers for door handles which have to be engraved even if I tube them the engraving breaks laminated blocks i've evn tried corian jointing adhesive from the local worktop installers

Jim

Grand Master
It is not easy to get hold of Corian that is thicker than the standard 12mm Steve, and if you do get hold of it you pay through the nose ... :bwink:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Until recently It was only made in about 3 or 4 sizes I believe. I think the thickest is about 18mm so you may just do it.
I don't like the stuf but it is made by Dupont and can be sourced here.
Corian® Solid Surface | DuPont

if you going to source it direct from the manufacturer you cant in less you are a registered fitter and it about £1000 a sheet but it come in sheets up to 25 mm

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
if you going to source it direct from the manufacturer you cant in less you are a registered fitter and it about £1000 a sheet but it come in sheets up to 25 mm

My word you do have a lot to learn young man.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well they wont give it to you as that avenue has been tried before so i am not sure you know what you are talking about they only care if you want to buy sheet on a regular basis

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
My experience with Corian is,

In Aust you can only get 1/2". A kind gentleman from US sent me a box of 3/4" pen blanks for an enormous cost of, I had to buy a bunch of flowers for the missus.

If I want a Corian bench top in my kitchen it will cost me 1000km $$$ for there travel expense.

The bustards in the kitchen shop will not let me have any off cuts.

If you try to glue two pieces of white together YOU WILL ALWAYS have a glue line.

:noman::noman::noman::noman:

trapper

Registered
Well,

My local Kitchen worktop supplier put me in touch with Corian.co.uk. Surprisingly those guys took the trouble to respond to my small enquiry and tell me that corian boards are made in four thicknesses; 4, 6, 12 and 19mm. They confirmed that they cannot supply me direct as the order would simply too small. That said, they have offered to see if they have any sample swatches in the right thickness and also to check with some of their customers to whom they have supplied thicker boards if they can give me contact details for scrap/offcut pieces. Now all I'd say is that might just be a pr job but I reckon thats a nice way of encouraging the use of their product!!!
Also I have contacted Pete...... The Korian Man again amost helpfull response albeit sadly he can't help at the moment.

Just thought people should know that sometimes it is worth asking and despite being small fish seems not all the bigs ones a trat us a a waste of their time:thumbs: big time to these two businesses.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
i am not sure you know what you are talking about
Seems to me young Mr Ringer you are determined to argue with me which is not condusive to this forum nor does it answer the original question.
I was giving Trapper a constructive link on where to gain information on Corian, with the firm lnowledge that until recently they did not have the machinary to produce material larger sizes.
The web site information may have been updated or altered since I last perused it but the fact remains they are the producers of corian and the only true source of this particular material.
It is trade marked by Dupont and any other product may be similar but not original.
As for purchase prices or agents that is entirely a course for the purchaser to decide upon.
If I wanted to purchase some which I don't, then I would get off my fat arse and make a visit to their premises.
I don't believe that any company in business to make a profit would allow me to walk away empty handed and money still in my wallet.

Ps the older one gets the longer recently becomes, in my case anything after 1980 is recent.

Jim

Grand Master
I have tried in the past going straight to Dupont, and had no success. Steve has tried and they have given him a chance to buy some blanks, but they will still only sell in bulk. So George you are correct in the way that you say that they want the money from your wallet, Alex, you are also right in saying they are not that bothered about us little fish .. Work that out ... :ciggrin:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I have tried in the past going straight to Dupont, and had no success. Steve has tried and they have given him a chance to buy some blanks, but they will still only sell in bulk

The reason they are saying 750 is that is about how many you can get out of the standard sheets

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Steve, have you tried Tony at Penkits UK? He seems to have a contact for corian, but I have no idea if he will be able to supply what you need? He has a note on his website saying that if you want odd sizes of Corian just ask. Unfortunately he's off on holiday in a day or so, so you might need to wait for him to get back ...

trapper

Registered
No not as yet David, I have however had a response from one of Duponts contactors who will supply ONE sheet which happens to be 12' long x 2'6" wide and 19mm thick so that being roughly a single worktop it's possibly unfair to say you MUST buy bulk quantities. Mind you having just boggled my calculators chipset that works out to over 800 pen sized blanks. They will supply the sheet for £570.oo but not cut into blanks!!!!!!!!!! that would amount to about £0.70p at cost before machine time. My problem is 12' is 4' longer than my workshop......... and its real heavy too

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).