• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Humble Slimline with Buffalo Horn

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's been ages since I turned a slimline and when I found the buffalo horn in a box of wood blanks I thought I would give it a go with a Black Chrome slimline with a BC Streamline centre band.

Peter

DSC_0203.jpg
DSC_0204.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Anything but humble young Peter.
Lovely job i like the shaping but there is too much of it for my taste.
Great pics init?

Jim

Grand Master
That is a beaut Peter, love that shape my friend .. And this is the reason why i like this kit .. :thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Love it Peter. That's a lovely blank on the right colour kit all the way for me. I'm not usually a fan of big shapes on these, but this just works so well. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've never had a go at buffalo but that is inspiring and has a certain amount of class which makes it have a Victorian look. I love the slimline/streamline for their versatility and just because the kits are cheap to buy it doesn't mean the they make cheap pens and this one would stand up to most expensive pens. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's the first time I have turned BHorn and I quite like it, I was expecting a really awful smell, but there was only the faintest odour of something I couldn't put my finger on, I think a piece of this with the right fibrous inclusions would look nice on a bolt action kit so I will get some more. I micro meshed it the same as normal and silver polished at the end, but the gloss is not like my CA gloss I will be prepared to take this apart when I have found the best method for horn.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Peter you have your own opinion but I have highly polished Buffhorn and dulled it again cos it just didn't seem right.
I have used waxes and ca / celulose finishes.
The best finish I found was a wet sand through the microgrits and leave alone The time i has spent in the pocket has only enhanced the feel and natural sheen.
The pen I used at Fujitsu was a buffhorn done in this method, the more I used it the better it got.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter you have your own opinion but I have highly polished Buffhorn and dulled it again cos it just didn't seem right.
I have used waxes and ca / celulose finishes.
The best finish I found was a wet sand through the microgrits and leave alone The time i has spent in the pocket has only enhanced the feel and natural sheen.
The pen I used at Fujitsu was a buffhorn done in this method, the more I used it the better it got.

You may be right, I will leave this one as is and the next one I will try buffing it with my buffing compound for plastics, cut factor .5 gloss factor 9.5 and if it looks too glossy I can always take it down a notch or two.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Strange but I like it I shouldn't because there is to much of it but I do I have a sierra in B/H that I made years ago which I just treated like acrylic and it has aged very well not a deep gloss but it still looks very good

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
The slimline is such a versatile kit. I like what you did. The shape looks very comfortable to hold and use.

Glad the horn did not stink. I have turned antler twice, first and last! The smell was so bad I almost lost my lunch.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).