• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mini Photo studio

johnny5

Registered
Today i bought off evilbay a mini photo studio "Sanoto". Solid plastic the size of a bread bin with built in flourescent light. They do make bigger sizes if needed but this is for pens only and is ideal.
Missus loves it because it does not take up a lot of room and can be left up. My other one is portable with lights etc and takes 5 minutes to set up and is much bigger and annoys her when it is in the kitchen.
It was delivered within 48 hrs from ebay company "yes4all" for £38 P&P included. There are many people selling them but this was fast and reliable.
What a Bargain and great photographs . Best buy for a while and my photos look professional.
Here is the kit and some photos of an Omega in Thuya Burr.

Attachments

• DSCF2722.JPG
    DSCF2722.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF2723.JPG
    DSCF2723.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF2720.JPG
    DSCF2720.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF2721.JPG
    DSCF2721.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF2724.JPG
    DSCF2724.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 92

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely set-up johnny. Anything that pleases the Mrs is good. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Anything that makes life easier is a good thing. Johnny in the last photo if you try focusing on the pen in the foreground as you will have more depth of focus behind the focal point than in front of it. With some of the small sensors it's almost but not quite infinite.

Peter

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks for that Johnny.
I may (will) have to get something similar. Not sure about the fluorescent light though, will it give the correct amount of light :nooidea:

johnny5

Registered
Anything that makes life easier is a good thing. Johnny in the last photo if you try focusing on the pen in the foreground as you will have more depth of focus behind the focal point than in front of it. With some of the small sensors it's almost but not quite infinite.

Peter

Thanks Peter , I only have a Fujifilm finepix S3400 , only just found my macro button will try that next !!, normally just use SR Auto mode point and shoot and it seems ok to me,
As u will be aware i am a total novice with the camera,
but this light box seems great for my needs , but willing to learn from my superiors, thanks

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Peter , I only have a Fujifilm finepix S3400 , only just found my macro button will try that next !!, normally just use SR Auto mode point and shoot and it seems ok to me,
As u will be aware i am a total novice with the camera,
but this light box seems great for my needs , but willing to learn from my superiors, thanks

Most cameras like that will usually lock the focus when you half press the shutter and that allows you to choose where to focus if you choose the closest pat of the pen to focus on it may not be in the centre so you focus on the closest part and keep the shutter button half-depressed and then move your camera back so the composition is as you want it. assuming you are using a tripod then press the button fully to take the photo.

Peter

johnny5

Registered
Most cameras like that will usually lock the focus when you half press the shutter and that allows you to choose where to focus if you choose the closest pat of the pen to focus on it may not be in the centre so you focus on the closest part and keep the shutter button half-depressed and then move your camera back so the composition is as you want it. assuming you are using a tripod then press the button fully to take the photo.

Peter

Thanks Peter it is now starting to make more sense now. So if i focus at the foreground of the pen when it auto focus's i wont get the fat bottom look that appears to be on my pens,
in reality they are straight but appear to have a fat bottom in the foreground as this has been pointed out before..
I do not use a tripod but i have one in my old studio light box .

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Peter it is now starting to make more sense now. So if i focus at the foreground of the pen when it auto focus's i wont get the fat bottom look that appears to be on my pens,
in reality they are straight but appear to have a fat bottom in the foreground as this has been pointed out before..
I do not use a tripod but i have one in my old studio light box .

It is probably more to do with the lens, are you using a wide angle? Just try the focus and see if it still gives you a fat bottom, oooh vicar!

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I also had a Finepix Johnny, and it is as Peter says, half press the shutter button & it will autofocus, surprised you don't see a difference with the macro button pressed as I found the one on mine great for plants etc close ups.

johnny5

Registered
Here a re two photos , Amboyna Omega one using flourescent bulb only and Trustone Sierra one using additional ;lighting from my old light box.

DSCF2741.JPG
DSCF2722.JPG
You can see the difference clearly.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
The second photo is the flourescent bulb only ??

strange, I would have said the other way around, Are the pens placed in the same place each time? just wonder if the fluorescent light is being diffused more in certain areas?? Does it have a diffuser on the light ? if so, try taking it off & see if it's any better

johnny5

Registered
Decided to use photoshop on all photos and keep the box without any additional lighting.
It is compact and easy to use.
Here is my photoshopped version of the trustone
DSCF2741.JPG
Much clearer, my thanks to everyone , my presentation has improved thanks to you guys

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
good simple little set up Johnny, I have used one similar to that for a few years now.

Certainly keeps Gold happier. wont say happy as you know what I mean..:rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).