• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trustone Sedona

johnny5

Registered
Sorry if i showed this pen before but practicing with my new light box and Macro on the camera :goesred: I cant see any difference myself !!! But i am no David Bailey.
TB Sedona Fountain pen made using White Horse Jasper Trustone.
I know the finish is not the best and the new light box shows the defects more.

DSCF2733.JPGDSCF2729.JPGDSCF2732.JPGDSCF2728.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Cracking photos Johnny well they look it to me I would be very happy to produce a photo like that mate well done

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It looks great I can't see any problems with the finish though.

Peter

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Exposure Value Johnny,

Almost all digital cameras have an Exposure Value (EV) Compensation setting. This setting is needed because the camera can sometimes make incorrect assumptions about the lighting of a photo. Changing the EV will make sure your photos are always correctly exposed.
Your camera is calibrated to expose images correctly for scenes that have a mix of dark and light areas. This works well in most situations because our images normally tend to have brighter areas (sky) and darker areas (shadows). On Auto, the camera chooses a brightness setting around mid way between the brightest and darkest areas and makes sure that area is correctly exposed. This causes problems, however, when all of your image is very bright (like a white sandy beach or snow), or very dark (like deep green forest scenes). For very bright scenes, like at the snow, the camera thinks the very bright part should be the ‘mid point’. This causes the snow to appear gray (because it’s mid way between white and black). Similarly for darker images.

Just lifted that from the net to try & explain it :funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Exposure Value Johnny,

Almost all digital cameras have an Exposure Value (EV) Compensation setting. This setting is needed because the camera can sometimes make incorrect assumptions about the lighting of a photo. Changing the EV will make sure your photos are always correctly exposed.
Your camera is calibrated to expose images correctly for scenes that have a mix of dark and light areas. This works well in most situations because our images normally tend to have brighter areas (sky) and darker areas (shadows). On Auto, the camera chooses a brightness setting around mid way between the brightest and darkest areas and makes sure that area is correctly exposed. This causes problems, however, when all of your image is very bright (like a white sandy beach or snow), or very dark (like deep green forest scenes). For very bright scenes, like at the snow, the camera thinks the very bright part should be the ‘mid point’. This causes the snow to appear gray (because it’s mid way between white and black). Similarly for darker images.

Just lifted that from the net to try & explain it :funny::funny::funny:

If you shoot on auto-exposure and the camera indicates what the exposure is for example 60th sec. at f16 you can put our camera into manual exposure mode and set the exposure to the same. Your photos look to be about 1 stop underexposed so you could set the speed to 30th sec and try that, if it is still too dark try the next slower speed. I have no idea what your camera is capable of and what setting are available, but the method I have just mentioned is only any good if you are able to change the speeds and f-stops. You could also change the ISO rating, but that can be slightly dangerous if you forget to change it back when taking photos other than your pens.

Peter

I can adjust your image to show you what it could look like if it was correctly exposed, but I won't unless you say it is okay.

johnny5

Registered
If you shoot on auto-exposure and the camera indicates what the exposure is for example 60th sec. at f16 you can put our camera into manual exposure mode and set the exposure to the same. Your photos look to be about 1 stop underexposed so you could set the speed to 30th sec and try that, if it is still too dark try the next slower speed. I have no idea what your camera is capable of and what setting are available, but the method I have just mentioned is only any good if you are able to change the speeds and f-stops. You could also change the ISO rating, but that can be slightly dangerous if you forget to change it back when taking photos other than your pens.

Peter

I can adjust your image to show you what it could look like if it was correctly exposed, but I won't unless you say it is okay.

By all means peter, please adjust as you deem fit. Always willing to learn and wont take offence. Corrective criticism is a good learning tool.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This is just basic levels adjustment if you get your exposure closer to the ideal it will turn out something like this. Your original photo is first, just cropped then my adjustment.

Peter

DSCF2733.JPG
Adjusted.JPG

johnny5

Registered
This is just basic levels adjustment if you get your exposure closer to the ideal it will turn out something like this. Your original photo is first, just cropped then my adjustment.

Peter

View attachment 10771
View attachment 10772

Thanks Peter , looks much cleaner and sharper.
I just my manual EV whiteness control, will have a bash tomorrow too see what they turn out like.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Johnny, most photo editing progs will adjust the EV white balance for you automatically - Microsoft office picture manager being one of them - if you can't get the camera right.

The trouble with the auto balance of cheap software is it not as good as the camera's system. If you find a piece of software that does a good auto levels then let the forum know. It is easier to get the camera to do it right, okay it is not as easy as clicking a button, but it will be right.

Peter

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
The trouble with the auto balance of cheap software is it not as good as the camera's system. If you find a piece of software that does a good auto levels then let the forum know. It is easier to get the camera to do it right, okay it is not as easy as clicking a button, but it will be right.

Peter

totally agree Peter but not everyone is comfortable messing around with camera settings and would rather leave it on auto most of the time. As Johnny's photos are taken with a fluorescent light it won't be as good as say an outdoors shot. Like I said Microsoft office picture manager does a couple of adjustments including auto correct of white balance, works for me, although I'm now trying to get to grips with Lightroom and Paintshop pro x6.

johnny5

Registered
Thanks Peter & Stephen,
I have now found that i have photoshop that can adjust the settings for me.
I have learn't a lot from you both.
My photos will now be much more professional looking.
DSCF2741.JPG
DSCF2728.JPG
I think these are an improvement

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
totally agree Peter but not everyone is comfortable messing around with camera settings and would rather leave it on auto most of the time. As Johnny's photos are taken with a fluorescent light it won't be as good as say an outdoors shot. Like I said Microsoft office picture manager does a couple of adjustments including auto correct of white balance, works for me, although I'm now trying to get to grips with Lightroom and Paintshop pro x6.

I am all for software that does it nicely, most do it in an unsubtle way, when I adjust mine for the forum I use iPhoto not photoshop, but it allows auto adjustment or manual and 9 times out of 10 I do it manually (no, not that, but that as well) I assume that the camera is taking care of the white balance because it is fairly neutral without the usual fluo cast. Maybe MOPM is good and if it is includes in windows then it has to be worth a punt. I am not trying to make it difficult just offering different solutions.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).