• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What tools to use when making pens

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
If i was to start from scratch with pen making what advice would you give me regarding the tools to use? :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thats all I use myself Jim. Just wish I could stop buying the rest lol. Got to take the wife over to the promised land on Saturday to see someone. Its close enough to Snainton that you feel obliged to call to the woodturning centre, its almost compulsory. If I get out with only spending £150 I'll consider it a result.

Jim

Grand Master
Thats all I use myself Jim. Just wish I could stop buying the rest lol. Got to take the wife over to the promised land on Saturday to see someone. Its close enough to Snainton that you feel obliged to call to the woodturning centre, its almost compulsory. If I get out with only spending £150 I'll consider it a result.

I guess we have all been there Keith, a quick look round or just a browse through costs me about a ton each time ... :whistling:

trapper

Registered
My first pice of advice would be get a quality pencil sharpener some 8mm dowel a good center drill, a 2.5mm hss dril bit a 4.5mm drill bit. mount the dowel in the headstock chuck center drill both sides . Then drill all the way through with the smaller drill bit now turn a tenon on one end of the dowel about 6-10mm deep and .25'' in diameter drill this end with a 4mm bit to about 20mm deep now remove the drill from the chuck and cut it off so that its 25-30mm long. Now take out your pencil sharpener and the end with the small 2.5mm hole feed into your pencil sharpener and turn a point on it just as though you are sharpening a pencil ok when you have apleasing shape stop.......... make yourself a coffee and wonder just how you made your first freestyle nib section for a slimline pen..........in wood also works on some acrylics and polymer clay. the secret is any tool you like just find a way that makes it work

Jim

Grand Master
I do almost everything with a 1" roughing gouge. Can't be doing with tiny little toy town tools.:devil:

Have to agree Walter, i think that the roughing gouge is misunderstood when turning small items ... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I use a roughing gouge and a spindlemaster. :bwink:

Attachments

• Hickory 24k Streamline Styuls A.JPG
    Hickory 24k Streamline Styuls A.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Hickory 24k Streamline Styuls B.jpg
    Hickory 24k Streamline Styuls B.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 2

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I use a 1/2 inch gouge and a skew on the flat with every pen I make tend to have a few sharpened beforehand so I can keep going. Having many of results of compulsive aquisition and penpox.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).