• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Attempt at Laminated Blanks

retreatjohn

Thought that I would share my attempt at laminated blanks, inspired by the video recently posted.
The woods are Beech, Purple Heart, Sapele? and the thin one is a strip from a wooden blind!, glued up with Titebond II.2001-12-31 23.00.00-40.jpg
Glued up blank (above)
2001-12-31 23.00.00-41.jpg
Blank after planing
2001-12-31 23.00.00-42.jpg
Sliced on bandsaw
2001-12-31 23.00.00-44.jpg
Ready to Turn
2001-12-31 23.00.00-45.jpg
Finished pen using a Slimline kit from Timberbits members offer.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that John, the pen looks very nice .. :bwink: Can you tell us what glue you used for this please ... :thinks:

Jed Baxter

Registered
Some good work here John, the final result is well worth the effort. Did you actually plane the work and not sand it? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
I have never thought of using a planer for my segmented items John, but looking how clean you have left this i may have one in the future. I have a sander which is fine but can be very messy. :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
It is the small planer/thicknesser from Axminster, I think I paid about 130 pounds on a managers special about a year ago.

Do they do the job John, i am having a lean-to built this year and i am planning on buying a small planer/thicknesser when it is finished as i have no room as it stands at the minute. :rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).