• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alcohol liquid

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Now i don't want to look silly, i know this is used in turning, especially for cleaning items of wood but exactly what is it and where do you buy it. :thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member

Sounds like you are looking for Methylated Spirits,
Denatured alcohol is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) that has been made unfit for human consumption by adding another chemical to it. Denaturing refers to removing a property from the alcohol (being able to drink it), not to chemically altering or decomposing it.

It is a wrong to call methylated spirit by the same name as is popular, and some believe denatured alcohol to be the American name for same thing. I believe there is a confusion between Methanol and Methylated.
We had a retired Chemist sign in a few days ago hopefully he will read this thread and enlighten us all.
The only true alcohol in the workshop I am aware of would be polish spirit used for cleaning degreasing and thinning of certain substances although there are safer and cheaper alternatives for our purposes.
I would think Alcohol can and should be avoided in the workplace.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I use Iso Propyl alcohol........

Dual purpose....... cleaning and mixing........... (with Diet Coke)

:whistling:

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

i am no expert but i have read for some time about denatured alcohol.
I found this link and am pretty sure now myself it is surgical spirits, available from chemists and expensive or online and cheap for say 2 litres.
No denatured alcohol in UK? - RC Groups

Hope this helps as i think it has me.
I am going to use it from now on as it evaporates very quickly.

Regards

Pete

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
The one i am talking about is in a spray container holding about 200ml maybe less? I know i have seen it probably on a youtube vid but cant remember the name. :thinks:

trapper

Registered
Pure turpentine is what you want to use to clean wood. It opens the grain and cleans it deeply. You will need to seal the grain with a grain sealer before finishing it or be prepared to spen hours building up a surface if using wax etc. White spirit does not work in the same way but is ok for a surface cleaner........ make sure its well ventilated and DO NOT smoke if doing this even the vapour can catch light.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).