• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New kid on the block

TrevT881

Apprentice Member
First Name
Trev
Hi All
Kid? who am I kidding! My name is Trev and I am 65 years young and newly retired woohoo!
I made some pens a few years ago and like to think I did a reasonable job, but thats just my opinion.
I have been trawling the photos and posts and am impressed by much of what I have seen, well done all.
I intend to get back to turning once I have cleaned all the junk out of the garage and the rust from my lathe, ( I know, shame on me) so will hopefully post some pics in the fullness of time (but don't hold your breath, I may be some time).
One question, has anyone tried the Jet whetstone grinder? my sharpening is pathetic and I need all the help I can get.:winking:

penfold1

Registered
First Name
ian
Welcome to the forum Trev, not been here long myself, so can't help with your question sorry. I'm sure some more skilled members will answer soon.

Ian.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome Trev I have observed many systems for sharpening and conclude there is nothing wrong with a simple grinder at all.

KInd regards Peter.:thumbs:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
welcome Trev
i am a sorby pro edge convert so cant help with grinder

Steve

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Trev and welcome re sharpening I have tried most of the different ways of sharpening from grinders wet stones diamond stones now I'm not talking about the best way because it isn't needed for turning wet stones are great for carving tools and the likes but if your struggling with sharpening the Robert sorby pro edge is by far the easiest system for turners it is a belt system with an adjustable table which enables you to lock it at exactly the same angle every time but it is expensive ProEdge Sharpening System - Sharpening

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Trev, go with the pro-edge if you can afford to my friend, tis a great tool .. :winking:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum.

Peter

TrevT881

Apprentice Member
First Name
Trev
Hi Mark
thanks for that, the tormek is expensive for what it is though don't you think?
I visited Australia many years ago, Darwin, courtesy of the RAF and found it hot with a shortage of vegetables!:winking:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Trev
Welcome to the nuthouse, no way back now, it's a lifetime membership!

Can't help with the Jet but I have a Tormek T7 and I think the Jet is a copy of that (could be the other way around!). It's an excellent machine for normal chisels and plane irons but gouges tend to groove the surface of the stone which is pretty soft.
I sharpen my turning tools and use them straight off a dry bench grinder, just need to be carefull not to overheat the edge.

Paul

Fellow
Welcome. +1 on the pro edge. I'm a newbie so pro edge is really handy. I brought some tools of evil bay and the gouges had so many different bevels it was crazy. 5 mins later all consistent.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).