• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wood Turning – What You Need

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I remember reading this a while ago Jim, but for whatever reason i can't reach this level "Becoming a good turner" :ciggrin:

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
I have been fascinated reading all the tips and jigs you have all so generously posted. A thought on the disc sanders some have made for their headstock. Before I got a Jet wet grinder which has a leather stropping wheel, I turned a dovetail in a turning blank to fit in my Nova jaws. Then gripping the blank(about inch and a half thick) I trued it up, then glued on a disc of abrasive to sharpen tools on. The possible refinement is I glued a belt, waste, of mine that had shrunk, sure many of you will have leather belts that do that, to the edge of the turned disc. Dressed with honing paste, or chrome polish, which is just as good, you now have a honing edge. One very, VERY, important point is that you must offer the tool up in the trailing fashion, OR ELSE, dig in to the leather. I have heard that the edge of M.D.F can be dressed with the paste and will hone anyway.:thumbs: Hope I have put this in the right place!:praying:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have been fascinated reading all the tips and jigs you have all so generously posted. A thought on the disc sanders some have made for their headstock. Before I got a Jet wet grinder which has a leather stropping wheel, I turned a dovetail in a turning blank to fit in my Nova jaws. Then gripping the blank(about inch and a half thick) I trued it up, then glued on a disc of abrasive to sharpen tools on. The possible refinement is I glued a belt, waste, of mine that had shrunk, sure many of you will have leather belts that do that, to the edge of the turned disc. Dressed with honing paste, or chrome polish, which is just as good, you now have a honing edge. One very, VERY, important point is that you must offer the tool up in the trailing fashion, OR ELSE, dig in to the leather. I have heard that the edge of M.D.F can be dressed with the paste and will hone anyway.:thumbs: Hope I have put this in the right place!:praying:

Why do you post this in a 4 year old thread. Your tip is a very good example of a Tip that will get lost because you have added it to a very old thread. Better that you start a new thread with your tip so it can be found in the future.

Peter

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Ah sorry Peter, never noticed it was so old, also can not see where to post a new thread, should I just leave that now?
Guess I am too old for this computer stuff:rolling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Ah sorry Peter, never noticed it was so old, also can not see where to post a new thread, should I just leave that now?
Guess I am too old for this computer stuff:rolling:

Hi Bill, it's just that your tip is a really good tip and it is a shame that it will be lost to people because it is in the wrong place.

If you go to the "Your Tips And Jigs" forum on the left hand side just above the first post you will see a "Post New Thread" button. If you click on that you can insert a Title for your post and under neath you can type your tip.

Have a look and if it is not clear let me know and I will talk you through it.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).