• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How do you sand deep inside a vase?

broadsea

First Name
John
As some will know I just turned my first yew vase. I had a problem sanding past the first couple of inches inside. Just wondered how you did it. Looked at a Sorby friction sander but ir looks expensive for a piece of wood with a velcro pad at the end of it.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
If you cant get your fingers in there, nobody else can. Two methods, there are undoubtedly more, use these Locking Forceps grip a piece of paper in the jaws, lock them off and sand away, but whatever you do dont put your fingers in the finger grips and rotate the lathe as you will break your fingers at the least!

Another method, make or acquire a piece of thickish dowel and run the end up the bandsaw to ceeate a longitudinal cut and then slide a piece of paper in the cut and wrap it around the dowel

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I have a piece of wood about 14" long & 3/4" square with the end rounded over & self adhesive Velcro stuck to the rounded section, I just use this to sand the inside of vessels going through the grits by attaching abrasive to the Velcro.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've never tried it so this is new to me too, thanks for the info Neil.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's all I use, my scratch stick.
It's my dads old signwriters rest, an old golf club shaft with a wine bottle cork on the end.
Slit in the cork to hold the scratch and job done init?

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
I use a old bit of dowelling and stick the sanding paper round the end using double sided tape

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I use a bit of dowelling with lagging foam on it and wrap the scratch around that with a bit of double sided tape just to hold the first 1" of the scratch which is wrapped in an anticlockwise direction

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).