• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lucky Break

Jim

Grand Master
I placed them into the pressure pot at 45 psi and as normal left them overnight. When i took them from the pressure pot i was surprised to see that all three of the tubes had shattered but did not break, how lucky am i ... :ciggrin:

pen_casting_tubes.jpg

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
What did it do you know?
They do reach some fierce temperatures whilst curing.
not sure about expansion either I would be surprised if it was the pressure.

Jim

Grand Master
George, by the time i placed the resin into the tubes the heat had dispensed .. I don't pour then until it has almost started to set .. But you could be right with it being a thermal shock thing ... :nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
When i tried to get the blanks from these tubes i broke the acrylic rod that i use to knock them out .. They would not budge ... :goesred:

This is the first time that i have used the acrylic tubes so i can't say if this is the norm or not ...

So today i decided to put them on the lathe and turn off the cracked acrylic, of course i put on the full visor i have and it was a good job the stuff was flying all over the place ...:eeeeek:

Jim

Grand Master
lol, love it Mark ... :thumbs:

I have two of the three blanks ready for turning, so hopefully tomorrow i will have the pictures ... :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Rowdy, i normally use the same but i was having difficulty releasing the resin from the tubes so i gave the acrylic tubes a go ... :down:

I tried using these tubes without placing them in the pressure pot but they still cracked so it must be the heat that does it ... :goesred:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Jim this has happened to me I think the resin or the mep whatever you call it makes the clear tubes brtitle maybe the tubes are polycarbonate Ithink mines were.

Jim

Grand Master
Instead of turning off the acrylic from the resin as normal i decided to drill the resin and just treat it as a normal blank. It is virtually impossible to get the resin from the tubes so i had to try something new. I still have about 3 meters of this tubing left, so if this works ok i will go with it with the rest of the tubing ...

casted_pen_blank.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Frankie, the first time i used them i sprayed them with the releasing agent, but they wouldn't budge so now i don't use anything ... :down:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).