• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel advice

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Can't say which one is best but if yours has gone wobbly it's probably because of too much pressure from the tail stock on your mandrel. You can overcome this by buying a new shaft for your mandrel & a mandrel saver (Planet) which grips the blank instead of putting pressure on the shaft. Used a one for a long while now with no problems.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Yes, depending on the mandrel you have you should be able to just replace the shaft. Have a look at pen kits UK he sells replacement mandrel shafts and have look at the turners workshop for a mandrel saver,

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I go along with Bill and suggest that you get yourself a Mandrel saver. I got one and also done as Terry suggested and got some silver steel rod to fit the mandrel and now have plenty of spare shafts.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I recently got one of these which PhilH has and likes very much. Basically it has the mandrel saver in the box with the mandrel.

Haven't used it yet, but it sure makes my workshop look and feel more classy just by sitting there in it's posh new padded box ... :funny:

penfold1

Registered
First Name
ian
I recently got one of these which PhilH has and likes very much. Basically it has the mandrel saver in the box with the mandrel.

Haven't used it yet, but it sure makes my workshop look and feel more classy just by sitting there in it's posh new padded box ... :funny:

Thank's for the post, bought one today, should be here before noon tomorrow..:banana:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).