• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cheap lathe tachometer

naxie

Registered
A little mod I did to my lathe today that I thought might be of interest to someone.

I called in to Halfords this morning and picked up one of these Halfords | Halfords Value 5 Function Cycle Computer

With a rare earth magnet on my lathe spindle and careful mounting of the sensor and routing of cable I now have a digital tachometer and a handy clock on my lathe!

:thumbs:

photo-10.JPG

photo-11.JPG

You need to set the wheel circumference on the speedo to 268mm if it reads in mph or 167mm if it reads in kph. The figure in the readout, 10.0mph is 1000rpm, 2.0mph would be 200rpm etc.

An easy and useful mod for less than a tenner! :thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Looks like a great idea Naxie, Just wondering the rare earth magnet attached to your lathe spindle has a cable coming out of it. When you turn you lathe on the cable will wrap its self around the spindle. Am I missing some thing? :thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
the block with the wire is the receiver static in position, the magnet on the shaft being the signal sender to the display unit.
as it would be on my bike receiver on the forks sender on the wheel and display at the handlebars.
Hope that explains it Mark.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).