• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mammoth Ivory, Buffalo Horn and Deer Antler on Magnum Bolt Action

Yorkie

The main section of the barrel is Buffalo horn, the bottom section of the barrel is Deer antler and the top section of the barrel is Mammoth ivory!

This pen was a nightmare to make and to get clean contact between the materials. Then it seems the antler shrunk slightly and I had to rebuild the Mammoth ivory several times on the lathe with ivory dust and glue.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. The smell of burning Mammoth ivory will stay with me for a long time.

The mechanism is a magnum bolt action rifle pen.

I love it, it's cool and crazy and I'll never make another.

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 30

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I am pleased for you and glad you like it.
It does nothing for me, bits of animal on an overcomplicated imitation of what?
Its supposed to be a pen, does it actually write?

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Its quite a complicated build.. BUt looks well made..
Having turned antler my self, I can imagine the pain!! :thumbs:

Pete B

Registered
It might have been a mare to make but you have finished it beautifully.
I'm not normally a fan of gun pens or even the rifle clips, even though u have a few 50 caliber kits as a mate talked me into making some for him.
But these bolt action ones are growing on me.
It really must have been tricky to get such a good join between the materials, you have and good pictures too.
Thanks for sharing

Pete

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).