• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stabilising 'crap' timber.

Shaver

First Name
Tam
Hi guy's.

Been busy on other things, but at last got back to having some time to search around about stabilising.

Got some welcome details if anyone is interested, this resin is now stocked by Turners Retreat. They ain't got any pics up yet, but look at the distributor list on the resin site.

Seems a good price for what appears to be similiar to 'Cactus Juice'.

Last edited:

penfold1

Registered
First Name
ian
At that price, i'd throw the wood away.:winking: £109 per gallon of resin and £400+ for complete system....Could buy a lot of pen blanks for that.:thinks:

Suppose it depends on whether your a hobby turner or business user.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
About time a UK supplier stocked something to stabilise the blanks. I'll certainly have a try with some of this given that a lot of the blanks I use are very flaky for which I use ca to stabilise.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Penfold1. How refreshing to read someone with some sense on a forum of nutters.
I agree with you 100% init?

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
At that price, i'd throw the wood away.:winking: £109 per gallon of resin and £400+ for complete system....Could buy a lot of pen blanks for that.:thinks:

Suppose it depends on whether your a hobby turner or business user.

I don't think a "business user" with any sense would even look a it. You would need to stabilise a hell of a lot of blanks to get any sort of return on your investment.

The target market is amateurs with more money then sense.

If you must have a pressure/vacuum pot make one from an old pressure cooker.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It is certainly worth a look at, I use quite a lot of punky wood, I just want to know more about the Vacuum generator and whether my compressor will run it well enough. Thanks for pointing it out.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I agree that it is expensive but some of the woods I get are very punky and cannot be replaced easily such as the rose root, some elms, ash burr, spalted sycamore. Currently I use on a lot of ca per blank whilst turning which in itself is a pain in the aris so that I can end up with a finished product where I've done the whole lot from cutting down the tree, seasoning it or aga drying it, turning it and finishing it myself.

I could throw out the wood at the end is very nice wood, carry on with ca or get something like one of these kits which virtually guarantee me good blanks (I think). I cut up and give away a great deal of my blanks and get as much a kick out of that as I do turning it myself but don't give some of the most punky wood which is often the nicest woods because they're very unstable. If I had a kit like this I could share the nicer woods around as well.

I may have more money that sense but thats' me and what is the equation for money / sense anyway? my missus doesn't think I've got any sense so I'm always going to be in that category :funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Cor I am doing well today, Paul I agree with you to.
You do have more money than sense.
Crap wood, bin it, get a good bit, simples init?

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
what is the equation for money / sense anyway? my missus doesn't think I've got any sense so I'm always going to be in that category :funny:

Good question Paul, it certainly wouldn't require much money in my case. :funny::funny:

My point was mainly that it was unlikely to be a good business investment and that that was not the target market.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Paul I say whatever floats your boat. If you can afford it and it does what you want it to do and more importantly you get satisfaction out of what you are doing GO FOR IT.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Cor I am doing well today, Paul I agree with you to.
You do have more money than sense.
Crap wood, bin it, get a good bit, simples init?

Unfortunately Brian I can't get good bits of some of the woods if I want to use them, thats the problem. You cannot get a good bit of rose root and some of the other woods. The only way out is to stabilise or not use those woods which would be a great shame because they're very nice woods... so there!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter, the generator is the same as the one used for the holdfast vacuum chuck I tested for Woodturning mag.
The minimum air requirement is 2.5 cfm at 55-65psi.

Hold Fast Vacuum Chucking System - The Woodworkers Institute

Thanks for that Walter, but I guess I will have to try and find out if mine will do that, if it is stated on the papers that came with it, or whether the compressor will be making noise all the time just to keep up, in which case I would rather get a Vacuum pump.

Peter

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks for that Walter, but I guess I will have to try and find out if mine will do that, if it is stated on the papers that came with it, or whether the compressor will be making noise all the time just to keep up, in which case I would rather get a Vacuum pump.

Peter

I found when testing it that the compressor did frequently cut in, and if yours makes as much noise as mine then that will be an issue. I think a vacuum pump would indeed be the better choice.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I found when testing it that the compressor did frequently cut in, and if yours makes as much noise as mine then that will be an issue. I think a vacuum pump would indeed be the better choice.

Again, thanks for that, it is what I expected and mine does make a racket. Do you know anything about Vacuum pumps? I have seen single stage and dual stage pumps, is one better than the other or doesn't it make any difference?

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Again, thanks for that, it is what I expected and mine does make a racket. Do you know anything about Vacuum pumps? I have seen single stage and dual stage pumps, is one better than the other or doesn't it make any difference?

Peter

Brody I am sure would be the man to answer that and give advise on what modern systems are available for vacuum.
That is a field forever changing and improving.
I had vacuum pumps which were extremely expensive and huge to do my vac forming with. They were also 3phase.
I have recently seen a small device producing more suck than I could imagine and was told it came from a fridge but it was pulling bath sized material into a mould.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).