• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Perfect Fit

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
Components on a piece of pre-banned whale bone.
Turned to size, sanded 400 grit only, applied 6 coats of Med CA, buffed with extra fine steel wool and polished with Hut Ultra Gloss.

Les

Attachments

• DSC06817.JPG
    DSC06817.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 80
  • #1 - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    #1 - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 80
  • #1A - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    #1A - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 80
  • #1B - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    #1B - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 80
  • #1C - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    #1C - Whale Bone - Gold Floral.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 80

Jim

Grand Master
That is a good looking pen Les, thou i am pleased that there is a ban on whale bone now, along with other animals of the world .. :bwink:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Never knew there was a ban on whale bone - don't they fish them anymore? no doubt a good thing - they wouldn't ban if there weren't issues, i guess.

nice looking pen!:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I love that kit Les the sad thing is it never took of in the UK and you cant get it any-more over here and it was a very cheep kit about £3 it was first sold as the transformer kit which you could from pen to pencil then it was sold as the regency by another supplier but as I said you cant get them any-more

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I don't know about other countries, but in the UK you can't just go collecting Whale bone from the beach, if one gets washed up. The same goes for Seal, Walrus etc. You have to have a licence. As far as I know there is only one person covering the whole of the North Yorkshire and Northumbria coast with such a licence

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Oh bloody hell, I'm a crim again. I know where there is a sizeable bone which. could be mine if I was so inclined. I had no idea it's illegal so will need to have a quiet word with a mate and tip him the wink.

I'm totally against any action which could endanger our wildlife but fail to see how or why anyone salvaging a bone from a beach without having contact with a live animal could possibly fall into this category. Surely the powers that be should be putting resources into pressuring the Japanese and others to stop whaling activities once and for all rather than chasing innocent beachcomers. ( Cutting out bones from carcases is taking beachcoming a bit too far though in my eyes ).

This particular bone, currently just sitting there in a mates garden was washed up on a beach in the wilds of Scotland where he found it many years ago. I didn't know what it was when I first saw it.

Hoping to see a few live whales and dolphins this holiday if we're lucky:banana: Might even get to see a shark in action if I can find a way of persuading the missus to go for a swim:whistling:

it's bloody cold here btw, temp has dropped to around 25 deg - brrrrrrrr:wink:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Oh bloody hell, I'm a crim again. I know where there is a sizeable bone which. could be mine if I was so inclined. I had no idea it's illegal so will need to have a quiet word with a mate and tip him the wink.

Why didnt you bring a bit with you.:sob::sob:

I'm totally against any action which could endanger our wildlife but fail to see how or why anyone salvaging a bone from a beach without having contact with a live animal could possibly fall into this category. Surely the powers that be should be putting resources into pressuring the Japanese and others to stop whaling activities once and for all rather than chasing innocent beachcomers. ( Cutting out bones from carcases is taking beachcoming a bit too far though in my eyes ).

Totally agree with you, especially about the Japs.
I would snuffle a bone or two if it was dry, No way if it was fresh, just imagine the aroma of it after 10 hours in a warm car.
That is our closest beach.

This particular bone, currently just sitting there in a mates garden was washed up on a beach in the wilds of Scotland where he found it many years ago. I didn't know what it was when I first saw it.

Dont imagine he will have much left when you get home.:thinks::funny::funny:

Hoping to see a few live whales and dolphins this holiday if we're lucky:banana: Might even get to see a shark in action if I can find a way of persuading the missus to go for a swim:whistling:

No Cookies | The Advertiser

it's bloody cold here btw, temp has dropped to around 25 deg - brrrrrrrr:wink:

Up here its a chilly 28°C at 3.30 am, forecast 37°C max.:thumbs: you could come up here and warm up.:winking:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
What a co-incidence.
We've just been down to the beach here at Port Fairy and one of the houses has a huge bleached whale bone on the veranda.
There's loads of nice timber timber lying around but I doubt if I'd be allowed through airport security with it.

Onward tomorrow along the great ocean rd to Apollo Bay then continue and ferry to Mornington peninsular before starting the drive up the coast to Sydney. Looks brilliant:thumbs:

I'm a bit pis*ed off really, had to wear a sweater last night:whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).