• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First post! Coffee Scoops...

craggus2000

Apprentice Member
First Name
Craig
Hi all,
This is my first post here, having just started turning pens, as a novice...
See the attached photos of my first efforts - Zebrano on one, and Jack Daniels barrel/Cocobolo on the other!
But I'm also looking for somewhere in the UK that I can get coffee scoop project kits from, similar to this:
PKCSCOOP2S.jpg
So far can only find them in the US, with extortionate postage! HAving real trouble trying to locate them in the UK.
Can anyone assist please?

Many thanks,
Craig

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 95
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 95

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Craig, welcome to the forum. We haven't got a coffee scoop section at the moment as far as I'm aware and you could just be introducing something new here. I've never seen them before but some of the elderly folk on here might have :funny:

I'm not sure what kit you're using there, it looks like a Euro derivative, not the easiest to start with but it looks like you've made a good job of them. Try taking photos on a plain background so that you can see the lines of the pen.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi, Craig and welcome to the Forum. I can't help you with Coffee Scoops but I bet you some one will come along and help you out.
Your pens look good.

I am not going to mention the Carpet Background:bwink:

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum. I have never seen the coffee scoops before. The pens look good:thumbs: but you are not allowed to use carpet as a background, one of our members has copyright on that:bwink:

Peter

craggus2000

Apprentice Member
First Name
Craig
Thanks for nice comments, yes I know the carpet doesn't look good, but it was late and I had run out of paper... :whistling:
Will re do them and hopefully with a bit more focus when I get a chance!

craggus2000

Apprentice Member
First Name
Craig
I'm not sure what kit you're using there, it looks like a Euro derivative, not the easiest to start with but it looks like you've made a good job of them. Try taking photos on a plain background so that you can see the lines of the pen.
Thanks, its an American Twist apparently? Didn't find it too hard, which surprised me I must admit...

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Thanks for nice comments, yes I know the carpet doesn't look good, but it was late and I had run out of paper... :whistling:
Will re do them and hopefully with a bit more focus when I get a chance!

KEEP OFF my Carpet Idea I have the Patent on that ingenious idea !

:bwink:Vic:bwink:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Welcome to the asylum Craig:thumbs:
I've not seen a coffee cup scoop kit either but I'm sure the elderly and posh people (with their Cafetieres) on here may be able to help :whistling:

I'm not sure what kit you're using there

As Craig has said the kit is the Americana which Axminster sell. I've done a couple and they aren't to bad a kit.
That's a good first attempt Craig :thumbs:

Louie_Powell

Apprentice Member
First Name
Louie
I made a coffee scoop for myself using a kit. When the time came to make one for our son, I went kitless. It was actually a very simple project.

The simplest way to make a kitless scoop is do a small hollow form and a handle, and then glue them together. If hollowing is a challenge for you, you can always start by drilling a hole using a forstner bit, and then fine-tuning the shape to whatever you want it to be, paying particular attention to making the bottom smooth and eliminating the small divot caused by the point on the drill bit.

You can drill a hole to attach the handle after turning the cup, but it's easier to drill that hole when then blank is still square - that way, you can better control the angle of the hole. Ideally, the hole won't go all the way to the inside of the cup, but that's harder to do if you drill the hole before turning the cup. But there's nothing wrong with drilling the hole all the way through the blank, turning the cup, gluing the handle in, and then sanding the inside of the cup to smooth the end of the handle.

The handle is a simple spindle with a tenon that fits into a hole in the side of the cup.

The thing that triggered the need to make a scoop for our son (a computer geek) was that he bought himself a fancy coffee grinder, and needed to measure the quantity of whole beans that he ground to make a cup of expresso. The grinder came with a plastic scoop that supposedly would hold 12g of beans. My solution was to fill a 35mm film canister with whole beans, and then use a small digital scale to weigh those beans. Because a 35mm film canister has parallel sides, it was a simple matter to calculate the depth of beans that would weigh 12 g, and then calculate the volume that 12g of whole beans would occupy. It was then a simple matter to turn a cup with that volume.

Obviously, because he works with whole beans rather than ground coffee, there is a potential that a scoopful of beans won't weight exactly 12g - but that same problem existed with the scoop that came with his coffee grinder.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
KEEP OFF my Carpet Idea I have the Patent on that ingenious idea !

:bwink:Vic:bwink:

That patent has expired now you is Vic the pic init?

Welcome to the nuthouse Craig, sorry can't help with the coffee scoop, stupid idea in my opinion.
You made a good job of the pen but I don't like the kit, once again only my opinion.

craggus2000

Apprentice Member
First Name
Craig
Welcome to the forum Craig.
There seems to me to be something not quite right about that top pen. The fit between the cap and centre band looks odd to me. Could just be the photograph.
Thanks!
There's a tiny bead of cocobolo between the centre band and the lighter wood, maybe its that. Also I made the diameter of the wood slightly less than the band to see how it would look, as opposed to being flush. Will take another photo when I can, as it's not the best angle.

Will have a look at that, and have seen similar, but wanted to try the kits to start off with, as I don't currently have a chuck (£££) and not yet tried faceplate turning...:nooidea:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).