• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How often do you get to work in your workshop?

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Like many others i would love to spend more time in the workshop, but i have many restrictions which limit me to only a number of hours a week, some weeks i have none. :down:

I have a small family of two children aged 7 and 10, i work from 7:00am till 5:00pm Monday to Friday, and some weeks i work on a Saturday morning, my wife works part time Monday to Thursday, 3:00pm till 9:00pm. So during the winter months with the children unable to play out because of the weather and dark nights this leaves me with hardly if any time to enter the workshop. During the summer months with longer daylight i do manage to get at least an hour or more per night if wished. :ciggrin:

How do you manage?

dynamonxt1

Registered
First Name
Dixie
I love spending time in my workshop! I get to work in there every day and I absolutely love it. It's a great feeling to be able to work with my hands and create things.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
How much time in the workshop?.... Loads, I work mostly as a carpenter, how much time do I get turning... I get a lunch break:fingers:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
If I want as much time as I like. But normal day for me is the mornings are gardening time if weather allows and then I can always work in the greenhouse. Afternoons is workshop time and evenings I just need to relax watching some of the programs I enjoy. But then I have retired but arthritis in the spine restricts how long I can stand in one spot so I use that time as an excuse to have a coffee if the wife makes one:funny: It is great having a tea break as many times as I want during the day.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Depends on a number of things really with perhaps the weather topping the list.

There are times when I spend weeks on end in bed.

Pen making for me is a type of therapy, it is no secret I am ex forces and very broken, mentally.
Being in the shed helps me a lot but it is not as simple for me to nip in there daily, I really wish it was.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
When you retire like me you will have less time. SWMBO always has projects for me to do. Completing the basement is the current one. I figure another couple months and that doesn't include the glass wine room she wants next year.

Pete

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I go in most days, even if it’s to sit on my stool and ponder what I need to do but can’t due to health issues.

But then my other hobby kicks in, so I don’t have too many things to let my mind wonder as it has a habit of doing from time to time. :rolling:
I was like you, kids, grandkids and all that family life brings.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I'm in the teaching workshop nearly every day, but that is my job, and it's the best job I've ever had!

If I'm not teaching I'm cleaning and wiping down for the next course, or prepping wood to season or cutting blanks that are now ready to use in the garage workshop.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am boxed in trying to remove excess from my workshop amazing the blanks,kits turning up I expect this to take another two weeks.
:thinks:

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Almost every day for the last 30 years And before retirement every available chance I got even when having a family 3 children and two jobs I always made time

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).