• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gift Plate For my mate Garry.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ages ago I had my now mate Garry make me that is cast pen blanks one of his famous cast watch parts on a fibreglass background, also plain fibreglass ones and he also Laser burned a copy of the American Declaration of Independance that was originally signed by a cousin of mine who hailed from Scotland, you can imagine the response we had of both the blanks and the beautiful 3/4 inch timber plaque about 14 inches by 11 inches anyway in the course of our transactions me using paypal I inadvertantly added an extra letter to his surname and one in a million things happened a woman who lived in that area of the USA has the same GV and two ll,s in his same Surname, an identical email addy for paypal. Long story short she snapped up the money and sat on it I claimed non delivery on her she lost Paypal came through for me this took three months and Garry had me withhold repayment until the dust settled. OK I was in constant phone contact felt I had thanked him as inadequately as I knew how and it sat with me then I had this idea to make a pen rest to strengthen our friendship.

Now I started with a Brown Mallee Burl slice irregularly shaped on the bark side and started to reduce sections for a large pen rest with my signature coins for the couple birth yr somewhat unusually both born the same year. As it cut down I noticed the burl form take the shape on the bark side of the lower half of the map of Minnesota where they live. Anyway I kept cutting using a paper overlay of the map of what they call the Lower Precinct and decided to instal a Star Ruby I picked up in India in 1985 to locate where they lived and using two Lockwood lock surrounds to look like portholes polished protected mounted the two coins. To separate the two I fitted a gem under her coin. Extensive enquiries bought a Remote Control Boat Bronze Berilium Propellor in the rough, cleaned and polished, protected that tapped and fitted that up the top of the plate. Garry and his wife run fishing excursions etc using a large to me ie boat as a living out on the huge Lake.
In the holding screw I inserted a brilliant red gem. By this time it was a 1/2 inch plate of georgeous burl almost totally different both sides so after consulting with Garry I found at a big bike shop a device the screws from both sides in chrome used near the gear train fitted perfectly with that thickness so when suspended the plate can be easily seen both sides. As Garry is a master laser person I asked him to cut the outline of his state from the top of the burl or not his choice.

The pic is a compromise taken in haste at posting time, the star Ruby follows (the star) the light source finished the plate with a semi gloss to gloss finish.

Kind regards Peter.

After a wasted hour or two trying to dumb down my pics to fit in with forum allowances and freely confessing to being a novice computer person, my latest desktop an IBM measures 7 inches square and two inches thick on set up Google Picassa 3 upgraded and I lost my reducing program I will get a young child to help me send pics but the overall time spent convinces me to submit the writing now,

Attachments

• DSCF0005-002.JPG
    DSCF0005-002.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 31

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Best I can do using iresize.com The front view of the plate Please note the mysterious figure like Nessie on the bottom does not transpose on the other size calling it friendly appearance.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• 427175151s-001.jpg
    427175151s-001.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 30

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Colour etc terrible but it shows the grain on the reverse side of the burl plate.

Learning how to reduce transpose etc.. Peter.

Attachments

• 910795448s.jpg
    910795448s.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).