• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

whiskey barrel blanks

tomvp

Apprentice Member
Hi
anyone know where i can get some whiskey blanks from ive looked at turners ret but there expensive and not a good selection

thanks

Tom

Jim

Grand Master
Hi
anyone know where i can get some whiskey blanks from ive looked at turners ret but there expensive and not a good selection

thanks

Tom

I am sure stevenw1963, mentioned that he has a few ... He could give you the name of his supplier? ... :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I am sure stevenw1963, mentioned that he has a few ... He could give you the name of his supplier? ... :bwink:

I have a load of those stupid things I don't know how much scent they have left in them as it does dissipate and quickly.
I was conned into buying Jack Daniels blanks, whiskey blanks sherry blanks and something else that slips my mind.
Save your money and your effort, any piece of oak turns exactly the same and after a week it smells the same, there is nothing fancy in these I can assure you.
If you are desperate for them pm me your address and I will send you some.

Jim

Grand Master

I have a load of those stupid things I don't know how much scent they have left in them as it does dissipate and quickly.
I was conned into buying Jack Daniels blanks, whiskey blanks sherry blanks and something else that slips my mind.
Save your money and your effort, any piece of oak turns exactly the same and after a week it smells the same, there is nothing fancy in these I can assure you.
If you are desperate for them pm me your address and I will send you some.

I guess it was George ... :rolling:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
well cognac barrel blank i have hold there smell

I am very pleased for you and your cognac. Long may you have a lasting relationship.

When you wake up and realize you are an alcoholic like me your sense of smell may fade a tad too.

They are a gimmick, I have made my offer and I will stand by it and let the receiver judge for himself.
Mine still smell in the bag but turn it into a pen and see how long it lasts in your pocket, and don't believe all that bollocks abut polishing it in the shavings you are only kidding yourself.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I'll go along with the gimmick theory, I got hold of a bag of the things from the guy who used to cut them and flog them to TR and to some American sites. The Jack Daniels barrell pens were even duller than the rest in that they were American White Oak and even less interesting than the malt whisky blanks. The burnishing in shavings was a complete load of twaddle. I don't think that I even made one pen from them, they went in the fire where they performed marginally better than kindling!

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I don't make you wrong Jim, I believe Steven did mention them, I remember having a giggle about me not being the only idiot around.
But I was too shy to speak up.

:funny::funny: Difference is George, I never paid for mine, I was given them :whistling::whistling:
& you are right, waste of money, any bit of oak would turn the same & smell the same after a days worth of use.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).