• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Noob

Misteralex

Apprentice Member
First Name
Alex
Hello all
I'm Alex

Long time woodworker recent lathe owner (Myford ml8) and looking to glide into retirement turning pens, bowls, heads and anything else i can think of.

Have been looking at the work posted on here and have nearly given up. either pen turning is easy or the combined geniuses of the western world are all on here.

Look forward to posting my first attempt (hopefully before christmas as its a present for my grandson).:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Alex welcome. It won't be long before you've turned your first one and then you'll want to do a second.. .and then a third... and so it goes on, its very addictive. With regards to the forum, if you want to know anything, ask me, all the others are raving... absolutely gone... nutters all of them. :funny::funny:

How about showing us some of the woodwork you've done? :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum, Alex:thumbs: pen turning is easy so don't stress about it:thumbs: you just need a bottomless pocket:sob:

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hi Alex welcome to the madhouse medication is a must or you will end up as mad as everyone except for a couple of us:banana::banana::banana:

Hello all
I'm Alex

either pen turning is easy or the combined geniuses of the western world are all on here.

I would go for the first part as for the second the jury is out

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Alex you poor ol bu**er sorry but not only have you started on the most expensive and addictive hobby ever you have gone and bin and joined this load of nutter's and plonker's ask your questions then hide under the table as the blitz will start up again and they take no prisoners happy turning you poor lost soul

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
either pen turning is easy or the combined geniuses of the western world are all on here.

Pen turning is easy, and almost everyone on here is raving bonkers. :banana::mooney2::banana::mooney2::banana:

if you want to know anything, ask me, all the others are raving... absolutely gone... nutters all of them. :funny::funny:

Especially Paul :face:

But they all very nice people and will try to help. :thumbs:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi Alex and welcome. Either you're mad or really brave as you've obviously checked the forum out before joining. Anyway, ask away as there's always some smart Alec got an answer on here. Might not be what you bargained for but you will always get an answer!
:yourwelcome::yourwelcome::yourwelcome:

johns486

Registered
First Name
Mike
Welcome Alex, as a relative newbie I concur with all above they are all barking mad. However the are the most talented bunch I have meet in the woodworking community, generous with help and advice and a few sell stock of the highest quality. You'll love it just prepare to go a bit mad.

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forum Alex, i am just down the road from you my friend .. Don't worry i am sane .. :winking:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Can't believe you checked it out and STILL joined up.

You obviously will be right at home and you have proved yourself to be raving mad by the above action.

Seriously though, pull up a chair, get stuck in and enjoy your stay !

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome Alex init?
What's all this crap about nutters and being mad, I think you're all sane as Hatters and love you all init?:love_it::love_it:

Alex you will soon find you can make a small fortune out of pen turning
You just need to start with a large one init?

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Welcome Alex. I remember when I was checking out the forum before joining. It doesn't take long before you realise it's become your second home. A hopeless addiction you just can't get enough of. I don't have too much trouble from the inmates, as i only make fairly plain stuff so i go under the radar:whistling:

Have fun and enjoy !!:thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi Alex and welcome. Grand Forum this mate it's absolutely full of great info and generous folk! One warning don't post any pictures until you have completed a Masters Degree at the Royal Academy!!!!!!

:bwink:Vic:bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).