PDA

View Full Version : Pen Blank Drilling Jaws Competition

Jim
01-06-13, 20:58
The competition that will run through to the end of June is for members to make a Pen and Pencil set. The only thing that is asked is that the standard center bands are not to be used, they must be of your own design.

All entrants must be posted to me via a PM, to send an image through the PM system is similar to how we do it adding them to our posts. If you are not sure then this post will help you. http://www.penturners.co.uk/tips-how-use-these-forums/3-adding-image-your-post.html

The competition is open to all members who have 25 posts or more. The prize will be posted anywhere in the world.

The competition will run to the 22nd June, when it has closed the top Three nominations will go into a poll where the winner will be selected by members who will vote for their favourite set.

To enter this competition you will have to post a picture of your pen in the selected forum. Like other the other competitions each member will have one Nomination, use this wisely.. The top Three nominations will then go into the Poll. The Poll will run from Sunday 23rd June through to Saturday 29th June...

The prize will be Pen Blank Drilling Jaws which will fit a Robert Sorby Patriot Chuck and Supernova Chuck.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/images/1/Pen_Blank_Drilling_Jaws.jpg

Any questions or comments please add them in this thread ...

bellringer
01-06-13, 21:05
how do you make a custom center band for a pencil as the one that comes with it hold the pencil together

Mattyd
01-06-13, 21:24
well........ you can turn them down so that the material that is used to join the blanks together remains, but the decorative accent is removed.
You then replace it with an accent glued on off your own..

it is better done on a metal lathe... it can be done on a wood lathe.... but not with turning tools.. there are other methods.. such as stock removal, with a dremmel and grinding wheel..
Its not easy and not always that safe... so i cant hand on heart recommend it.
Some accents dont have a center band.. so you could create one...
matty

clumsysod
01-06-13, 21:31
me being pedantic again.
Is the center band a requirement or would a one piece be acceptable?
Are these to made on a specific kit or can they be custom made?

Jim
01-06-13, 21:32
how do you make a custom center band for a pencil as the one that comes with it hold the pencil together

Ok, if your comfortable with this we can change the rules, what do you all think .. :thinks:

Jim
01-06-13, 21:35
me being pedantic again.
Is the center band a requirement or would a one piece be acceptable?
Are these to made on a specific kit or can they be custom made?

George an all in one with a center band is fine, any kit is fine ... :bwink:

Jimjam66
01-06-13, 21:36
Haven't made a pencil for a while but if Matty and Alex think its not recommended to change out the centreband I'm happy if you change the rules, Jim.

Jim
01-06-13, 21:41
This is how i do it for the Pencil ... http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-turned-items/72-pen-pencil-set.html

Terry
01-06-13, 21:42
Haven't made a pencil for a while but if Matty and Alex think its not recommended to change out the centreband I'm happy if you change the rules, Jim.

I go with David even though I won't be making or voting!!!

Mattyd
01-06-13, 21:43

I am happy to remove a centreband David...:thumbs:
But I would be uncomfortable trying to coach someone how to do it, if I was unaware of their manual dexterity, and skill level...
A one piece pen could be made to imitate a centre band for those that were not confident..? :bwink:

bellringer
01-06-13, 21:50
Ok, if your comfortable with this we can change the rules, what do you all think .. :thinks:

just sorted it i have ground it off on the bench grinder

clumsysod
01-06-13, 21:50
This is how i do it for the Pencil ... http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-turned-items/72-pen-pencil-set.html

That is exactly the reason I asked about one piece, because I would do same as you have.
I see no reason to change the ruling, its an interesting twist .

bellringer
01-06-13, 22:20
so are we still making a center band or not

bellringer
01-06-13, 22:29
I think we would be better not to change the center band from the one supplied

Jimjam66
02-06-13, 08:08
Having seen Jim's and Matty's clarifications I am happy either way ... Will do the mod regardless of the rules decision, just because I like a challenge!

stevenw1963
02-06-13, 22:11
Hmm, Sierra's don't have centre bands - does it have to be a slimline or something???

Jim
02-06-13, 22:15
Hmm, Sierra's don't have centre bands - does it have to be a slimline or something???

Steven, you can use any pen kit, as long as it has a center band ... Sorry Sierra's would not fit the category .. The idea is not to make it to simple .. :bwink:

wm460
05-06-13, 07:58
Having seen Jim's and Matty's clarifications I am happy either way ... Will do the mod regardless of the rules decision, just because I like a challenge!

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/wm460/Cartoons/iagree1-1.gif (http://s511.photobucket.com/user/wm460/media/Cartoons/iagree1-1.gif.html)

Too right old chap, I like the challenge,:eeeeek:

Jim
15-06-13, 20:59
This comp will end next Saturday guys ... :bwink:

Just to add, are we adding the pictures anonymous? So the nominations will be on the pictures without knowing who added them! ... :thinks:

bellringer
15-06-13, 21:01

Just to add, are we adding the pictures anonymous? So the nominations will be on the pictures without knowing who added them! ... :thinks:

ye i think so are we going standard center band?

Jim
15-06-13, 21:10
The majority have gone for a custom center band Alex, it makes the comp more of a challenge ... :bwink:

ataylor
15-06-13, 21:33
Well i got the pen done, but i was having a little trouble with the pencil, i had forgotten that i couldn't get the blanks on the mandrel because of turning down the standard center band. A pm to Jim the other day put me right. Hopefully i will have the set finished either tomorrow or monday at the latest. :devil:

wm460
15-06-13, 21:49

I got mine ready am I too late.:goesred:

Jim
15-06-13, 21:57
I got mine ready am I too late.:goesred:

Certainly not ... :ciggrin:

wm460
15-06-13, 23:20
Pheww..... thought we had till the end of the month. Will photograph later in day and send.:thumbs: