• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A few tips and my Blank drilling jig

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Hi

I am new here so do not know if this idea has been posted before if so I apologies. Asked Mrs Bob to get these for me from Hobbycraft they are needle tip applicators and I find them handy for putting on a measured amount. they come in a 6 pack and cost £3.

Darice Applicator Bottles | Hobbycraft

Applicator bottles PB250001.jpg

and looks like I can't speel Linsead Oyl rite :whistling:

Below is my jig for drilling pen blanks on my Bosch drill that Mrs Bob bought me it does have a Lazer guide and a digital readout depth guide at first I was not so sure about as you will agree it is not the normal looking bench drill but I have grown to like it very much.

Drill PB250004.jpg

Blank drilling Rig PB250002.jpg

Blank drilling rig 2 PB250003.jpg

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That is one weird looking beast, Bob! Being a Bosch though I have no doubt it is brilliant at what it does. What is the maximum quill travel?

Nice idea with the bottles too. Price is good ... In Basingstoke the Hobbycraft is next door to Axminster, so every time I go there I come away broke and not even having set foot in Hobbycraft ...:sob:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
i like the wheel idea on the drill
looks easier than usual handles
i got to get me some of them bottles

Steve

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Looks good Bob nice and simple, nice drill not seen one like that myself as well. Interesting:thinks:

The only thing I would say is make sure you clamp the pen blank and don't rely on using your fingers to hold it in place.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
What an education Bob so many deviations from the normal taken with the big soft wheel to raise and lower the quill, better get a license to use it. You can improve on your method of holding blanks using the four inch vice and prismatic jaws, the vice is cheap as and prismatic ( horizontal vee and three vertical vees allow rapid safe gripping and can be purchased and easily fitted as well. Like your set up afraid of fingers holding although we all do it at times not necessarily with blanks.

Your small containers look beaut like to be able to get thicker Brasso as you certainly have in that squeeze bottle. i am sure I have lost more sanding sealer than I have used and decanting this quantity makes great common sense same with the BLOil. I have never had a quick stop on a drill never felt the need but if it slow starts thats a bonus together with the Laser criss cross guide. The U shaped adjustable clamp that allows full view is a bonus IMHO I could see lots of mods going in that area to increase the versatility.

As a devoted subject my dearly beloved would haunt a Hobby Shop next to an Axminster as David experiences Wilma and I have a mutual understanding if you dont know thats fine when we shop recriminations follow after very civilly. After all it is for each of us to choose within budget.( sounds good?)

Admire the big soft wheel feed always felt the gap between one of the spokes to the other a flop in conventional drills always acceptable but crucial for us pen guys especially in tough timber.

All of this was brand new to me in drill knowledge indeed grateful to you for showing here nearer 5 am on the 26th.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A strange looking beast, I assume you are pleased with it?

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Couple of pics 4 inch prismatic jaws, how I fitted them to an X Y Axis vice for my use showing the use of the horizontal vee and vertical vee.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw.jpg
    Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Drilling blanks.JPG
    Drilling blanks.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 191

Jim

Grand Master
Very good idea with the bottles Bob, nice drill also especially with the laser marks giving you the blank center .. :thumbs:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
That is one weird looking beast, Bob! Being a Bosch though I have no doubt it is brilliant at what it does. What is the maximum quill travel?

Nice idea with the bottles too. Price is good ... In Basingstoke the Hobbycraft is next door to Axminster, so every time I go there I come away broke and not even having set foot in Hobbycraft ...:sob:
Hi David maximum Quill travel on this drill is 90 mm also the Drill body itself can be moved up and down the coulomb which is just as well as the table is fixed. I wish we had an Axminster up here and if I had one next to Hobbycraft that would be brilliant as the Mrs could go in there (its her second home ) and leave me to look round Axminster.

Eamonn I have a little clamp somewhere just made for that set up but since my house move last year have not found it among other bits.

Themackay hope it is not as chilly in the Granite city as it is up here today the frost has not lifted all day.

Don't know how much Mrs Bob spent on the Drill Woody but I bet it was more than Amazons price so I am not going to show her your link otherwise I will be running quicker than a christian through Islamabad.

Penpal thank you for the comments it is indeed an interesting take on a bench drill there are a few negatives with it I have seen reviews that say the quill is not so good with hard use with metal and can cause oval holes I have never found this and mainly use it on wood. The other negative is it will not drill angles but I am not to worried about this as I put a block of wood under the piece I am drilling or would make a jig if I needed a lot of repetitive angled holes. The plus points is the drill is 2 speeds with VR so no pulleys to mess with and the motor is 710 Watt which is the equivalent of 3/4 HP I have used forstner bits with it and it goes through wood and chipboard like butter.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Very odd looking drill, but as already said, it has some useful features :thumbs:
And if you like it, that's all that counts :wink:
The bottles look like a great idea :thumbs:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Couple of pics 4 inch prismatic jaws, how I fitted them to an X Y Axis vice for my use showing the use of the horizontal vee and vertical vee.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Interesting I will have a look about in the UK if I can find them I do not have a vice yet but if I bought anything other than a Bosch vice I would have to be careful where the holes are to clamp it to the bed thanks for info.:thumbs:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Very odd looking drill, but as already said, it has some useful features :thumbs:
And if you like it, that's all that counts :wink:
The bottles look like a great idea :thumbs:

It is odd looking I must admit and when I got it out of the box at first I was a bit disappointed at the look of it but did not say anything to Mrs Bob as it was a present but once I started using it I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to set up it has a lot of nice features. The last time I used a bench drill it was a big brute of a thing for drilling holes in RSJ's that was in the late 60's-70's

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice idea Bob and the laser lines on the drill are superb, what a pity they aren't lined up with the drill so that it goes across the corner of the blanks, lining them up perfectly.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Nice idea Bob and the laser lines on the drill are superb, what a pity they aren't lined up with the drill so that it goes across the corner of the blanks, lining them up perfectly.

Yes that would be a bonus and I don't think you can change the way the laser projects. The drill has been busy the last few days Mrs Bob put one of my pens to a shop that sells our photographs and I got an order of 18!!! :thumbs:

I wish when I put my shed up earlier in the year I had given some thought to insulation have been freezing out there the last few days

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice one Bob. I take the CMM out to the shed for 10mins before I start. All that hot air soon warms it up :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).