PDA

View Full Version : Closed End Pen Competition

Buckeye
27-11-14, 22:35
Well it's drawing nearer to the competition so this is just a heads up to those who want to enter and are not sure how to go about making a closed end pen. I know some of you have made or acquired a mandrel, but those who haven't start looking at what is needed. Below are 3 ways to do it, so check them out and choose your method.

In the library there is a PDF to make a mandrel for closed end pens, the example is made from metal, you could use brass or aluminium on your wood lathe with your normal tools or you could make it from a good piece of hard wood.

Grump showed how to do it between centres, but I can't find the thread, if anyone knows or finds it please post a link to it so there is more choice.

For those who would feel more comfortable using their adjustable pen mandrel there is a youtube video showing how to use your mandrel, the example in the video being turned is one of TerryQ's serpentine blanks.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlIA_VWR3us&feature=youtu.be>

I have not set a date and time for the competition as I am awaiting some vital information before making it official, but if you leave it until the last minute, you know you will run out of time and this is one competition you don't want to miss the deadline for. I guarantee that all qualifying entrants in the UK will stand a chance of winning a life changing sum of money. The competition will be open to entrants outside the UK, but as there are potential legal problems and/or hassles about sending money abroad then I am looking at an alternative as they will not have a chance of a life changing sum of money.

One of the rules of the competition will be that no props can be used in the photos.

Another that you should be aware of is that the pen you put into the competition may not have appeared anywhere before, not on the internet or in any club competition, magazine or other, you may not show photos or the pen to anyone else, before the competition.

I will draft up the rules and regulations and post them later, if you have any sensible suggestions for the rules please post them in this thread for discussion.

Peter

wm460
28-11-14, 07:54
I hope I can get my lathe going in time.:thinks::thinks:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 11:08
It's now one day less to the end of the competition, if you haven't decided which way to make the pen then decide soon so that you can have a practice and make a few before the deadline.

For all new members you will need a minimum of 25 posts to be able to enter the competition, so if you are lurking get posting.

You can use any kit pen you want to make a closed end pen, with only the bottom barrel being a closed end.

The blank can be from whatever material you want as long as it has been turned on a lathe.

Remember if you don't enter you can't win, if you enter you may be able to kit your workshop out with machinery of your choice and maybe even send your wife away for a few weeks, so that you can get uninterrupted shed time. If you don't have a wife you are already a winner:kiss:

Peter

Walter
28-11-14, 11:13
Grump showed how to do it between centres, but I can't find the thread, if anyone knows or finds it please post a link to it so there is more choice.

Is this the one you mean Peter?

http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/7009-no-mandrel-closed-end.html

Buckeye
28-11-14, 11:19
Is this the one you mean Peter?

http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/7009-no-mandrel-closed-end.html

Yes, that's the one, I looked for it and couldn't find it, thank you Walter.

Peter

Jimjam66
28-11-14, 12:27
Ooooh, sounds mysterious and exciting! This one will be fun ...

chas_41_uk
28-11-14, 12:52
It's now one day less to the end of the competition

Ummm did we miss the start? It can't be one day nearer the end until you announce the start :face::wink:

Ohhh the decisions. Which kit do I use? Do I do it like this or like that? :thinks:

Hopefully this competition will be as well supported as Dan's recent Omega Competition :thumbs:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 13:09
Ummm did we miss the start? It can't be one day nearer the end until you announce the start :face::wink:

Ohhh the decisions. Which kit do I use? Do I do it like this or like that? :thinks:

Hopefully this competition will be as well supported as Dan's recent Omega Competition :thumbs:

It was a heads up that the competition will start soon so there's definitely 1 day less until the end of the competition, if x was the number of days to the end of the competition then now it would be x-1, the people know what is required so those who have started and didn't wait for the start will have a head start and maybe even finished before the start.

Chas it really was a heads up for any newbies who are lurking or don't post, they need to start posting so that by the time they enter the competition they will have the required number of posts.

Peter

johns486
28-11-14, 16:45
Stupic question but do both ends have to be closed.

Twister
28-11-14, 16:50
another rule

plain white background ?

Dalboy
28-11-14, 17:01
another rule

plain white background ?

Does that mean Vic can't get the carpet out of retirement.:funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 17:08
Stupic question but do both ends have to be closed.

That was covered here
http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/8079-closed-end-pen-competition.html#post118621

I will post a full recap of the rules when the official start of the competition is announced for Chas's benefit:bwink:

another rule

plain white background ?

I will get round to the photo rules soon, but plain white photocopy paper will be the background, not material, not chairs and definitely not carpet, no props. Pen must be at least 95% of the 800 pixel width. Two photos per pen 1 opened 1 closed. Do these rules look acceptable, can you think of anything not mentioned?

Peter

Woody
28-11-14, 17:16
I am poised ready to go good luck every one and thank you Peter for running this one but do I have to change my life when I win :funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 17:44
I am poised ready to go good luck every one and thank you Peter for running this one but do I have to change my life when I win :funny::funny::funny:

Good luck to everyone, get those mandrels made, or look at the youtube video how to use your normal pen mandrel or make sure you have a live and dead centre.

Woody, you don't have to change your life if you win, you may want to start turning in the Bahamas instead of the UK and have a weekly stash of Smiffs flown out to you, but if you forget to enter you won't have a chance of that happening.

I may have to change my life and liquidate a few of my Apple Stocks, but that's enough about Cider.

Just to remind all those who are still thinking about it, if you ain't in it you won't have a chance to win an amazing, life changing, sum of money, only those who enter will have that chance and if there are enough entries then we may even have 2nd. and 3rd. placings.

Peter

chas_41_uk
28-11-14, 18:40
Chas it really was a heads up for any newbies who are lurking or don't post, they need to start posting so that by the time they enter the competition they will have the required number of posts.
Peter

I know Peter. I was being flippant, according to Sue I'm very good at that :wink::funny::funny:

What Peter means is come on you newbies like everything for the next couple of days to get your post count up :thumbs::wink:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 18:49
I know Peter. I was being flippant, according to Sue I'm very good at that :wink::funny::funny:

I know Chas, so was I:kiss:

What Peter means is come on you newbies like everything for the next couple of days to get your post count up :thumbs::wink:

Better still, tell us about yourself and show us some photos of your work if you have some. You can be working on your entry and make one post a day and you will there before you know it. If you need help with anything ask on the forum and people will dive in to help you, you don't have to be a closet turner anymore, it's legal now:thumbs:

Peter

Vic Perrin
28-11-14, 18:55
How many pens are you allowed to enter ?

:bwink:Vic:bwink:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 20:23
How many pens are you allowed to enter ?

:bwink:Vic:bwink:

Just the one, but that will give everyone an equal chance and two pens would dilute the vote. It would be better to make a few just in case of any mishaps and enter the one you like best.

Peter

Dalboy
28-11-14, 20:47
I like mine the best Simples I win:funny::funny::funny:

Just have to see what I have in my pen stock and have a laugh. Yes you read that right I will have a go at some pen turning:face::funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 21:05
I like mine the best Simples I win:funny::funny::funny:

Just have to see what I have in my pen stock and have a laugh. Yes you read that right I will have a go at some pen turning:face::funny::funny::funny:

Well, that is what the forum is all about:thumbs:

Peter

wm460
28-11-14, 22:37
Just what I need a life changing sum of money, so I can chuck my job in and spend the rest of my life pottering around my shed.:thumbs:

Buckeye
28-11-14, 23:41
Just what I need a life changing sum of money, so I can chuck my job in and spend the rest of my life pottering around my shed.:thumbs:

It is only uk residents who enter the competition who stand a chance of a life changing sum, it's far to much trouble to send large amounts of money abroad. You can still enter, but the chance of big money for non UK residents is not available for this competition.

Peter

Buckeye
29-11-14, 12:58
Okay, it's x-2 until the end of the competition that hasn't officially started yet.

As it will be December and the lead up to Christmas with everyone busy baking, cooking, cleaning, shopping, wrapping, hanging mistletoe and generally doing everything that you have been told to do, you won't have much time so get busy and make a start on your pen, select a blank and pen kit and do all the measurements you need and make sure you write them down prepare your blank and you are most of the way there.

Maybe we should have the deadline for sometime between the 26th. and the 2nd. January as it should quieten down apart from new year's eve. What do you think, would that give you enough time to enter or will you still have family around?

Peter

Lons
30-11-14, 04:15
Yippie, I'm back on 7th so will get to enter:banana:

I've guessed what the prize is though:thinks: It's a lottery ticket isn't it!
I'm happy with that, just seen a little spread here in Oz I could buy with the winnings:thumbs:

Buckeye
30-11-14, 11:42
Yippie, I'm back on 7th so will get to enter:banana:

I've guessed what the prize is though:thinks: It's a lottery ticket isn't it!
I'm happy with that, just seen a little spread here in Oz I could buy with the winnings:thumbs:

If that is 7th. Dec. you will be able to enter, if it is 7th. Jan. you may still get to enter.

No the prize is definitely not a lottery ticket.

It will all be made clear very soon, but it is now x-3 so if you have been thinking about entering the contest stop thinking and start doing, time will run out before you know it.

Peter

wm460
30-11-14, 23:45
It is only uk residents who enter the competition who stand a chance of a life changing sum, it's far to much trouble to send large amounts of money abroad. You can still enter, but the chance of big money for non UK residents is not available for this competition.

Peter

Bloody Discrimination:mad::mad:

Neil Lawton
01-12-14, 00:03
If you can prove you are a UK resident (a badly drawn crayon picture will do), and prove that Tennant creek is a God forsaken Cul De Sac in Brixton, you might get through.:thumbs::funny::funny: