• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ultra Sonic Cleaner

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If anyone is interested in casting they may be interested also in this ultra sonic cleaner from Lidl to help with getting the bubbles out of the resin.

Peter

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
That's a good price. You could get two and not worry about breaking one. You use one don't ypu Peter? I've never tried them.:thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a good price. You could get two and not worry about breaking one. You use one don't ypu Peter? I've never tried them.:thinks:

Yes I use one and it works well.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I was at LIDL today and bought one of the ultra sonic cleaners even though I have one, the lidl one has timer settings whereas mine would run for 3 minutes and I would have to press the start button again. It also seems a lot more vigorous in it's action.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I used to have one that sounds the same as yours Peter with a 3 minute timer.
A wire came disconnected inside and it still worked fine, I soldered it back on and blew it up, oops perhaps it was meant to be lose.
I may endeavour to visit Lidl's and see if I can procure one of these, thanks for the heads up on it init?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks for that Peter. I purchased mine today. :thumbs:

I was amazed at how much better action was going on with the new one and I put water in both of them and stood a cup of water into each bath and then some red food dye in and switched on, the new one completely mixed it in about 5 seconds and the old one was about 15 seconds. I can't wait for some warm weather so I can try it out with resin and see if it will degas the resin any quicker or more thoroughly.

Peter

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks again Peter. Like you I will wait for the warmer weather again before using the casting resin.
Hard frost overnight meant the shed wasn't opened until 11 this morning and the temperature is still hovering around 3 degrees C.
:thinks: I would like to cast one of those pens with the watch parts, so I may spend some time indoors taking a watch apart and experimenting. :nooidea:

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
I was amazed at how much better action was going on with the new one and I put water in both of them and stood a cup of water into each bath and then some red food dye in and switched on, the new one completely mixed it in about 5 seconds and the old one was about 15 seconds. I can't wait for some warm weather so I can try it out with resin and see if it will degas the resin any quicker or more thoroughly.

Peter

Thanks for the tip Peter. I picked one up also. :thumbs:

Maybe a separate post but noticing your template re reference, what are the quick rules for casting as far as temp goes?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks again Peter. Like you I will wait for the warmer weather again before using the casting resin.
Hard frost overnight meant the shed wasn't opened until 11 this morning and the temperature is still hovering around 3 degrees C.
:thinks: I would like to cast one of those pens with the watch parts, so I may spend some time indoors taking a watch apart and experimenting. :nooidea:

You will need more parts than 1 watch will provide, I get mine from redroosteruk on ebay. You can prepare the tubes and wait for warmer weather or heat your shed up if you do it in there, but I have to do mine outside so need the warm weather.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks for the tip Peter. I picked one up also. :thumbs:

Maybe a separate post but noticing your template re reference,

Sorry, I haven't got a clue what template re reference is.

what are the quick rules for casting as far as temp goes?

No rules, just guidelines, I heat my polyester resin to between 20 and 25 deg C.

Peter

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Sorry, I haven't got a clue what template re reference is.

No rules, just guidelines, I heat my polyester resin to between 20 and 25 deg C.

Peter

Sorry, that's me - " template re reference" my predictive text is still on a learning curve :nooidea: so less haste more speed

What I meant was does the outside temperature have an impact or does keeping the inside working temperature between 25 - 30 do the trick

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Sorry, that's me - " template re reference" my predictive text is still on a learning curve :nooidea: so less haste more speed

What I meant was does the outside temperature have an impact or does keeping the inside working temperature between 25 - 30 do the trick

Yes it does have an impact, when the mekp has been mixed in it will start an exothermic reaction which is what will set the resin, extreme cold can delay the reaction, but I don't think it can stop the reaction, I have never bothered to try in such extreme cold weather. I have cast in about 16ºC ambient temp but put the mould in a polystyrene box and it was fine.

Peter

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Not so thick Vic.
I know it helps to degas CA
I know I can use it to get the air bubbles out of the resin
And it helps to get rid of the air bubbles out of the mix.
I am sure Peter will be along in a minute to keep us both right.
@Peter Thanks for the watch parts site, I may heat up the shed and try out some casting but will need better weather than we are having at the moment.
I managed a couple of hours this afternoon before the visit to the docs and was quite surprised how quickly everything warmed up.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thicky Question ? How do these work in relation to making blanks ( I have never cast a blank YET)

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

They are used to get the air bubbles out of the resin. You put hot/warm water in the cleaner and resin in a cup or container and stand that into the cleaner and switch on the bubbles rise in the resin and burst on the surface. It also helps to mix the MEKP more thoroughly.

Peter

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
They are used to get the air bubbles out of the resin. You put hot/warm water in the cleaner and resin in a cup or container and stand that into the cleaner and switch on the bubbles rise in the resin and burst on the surface. It also helps to mix the MEKP more thoroughly.

Peter

Peter,
this is pure gold for me!!!
I bought a little ultrasonic cleaner at Lidl (we have Lidle here in Italy as well) a couple of months ago, but mine it can be set to 10 minutes of running.
I used this for cleaning my airbrushes, and it works like magic, but lately was trying to cast some blanks in Polyester resin and (since i dont ave a vaccum or pressure chamber) was thinking of a way to get rid for the air bubbles.
Then I read this post and was thinking of how much I love you now!!! Thanks a lot for this precious hint.

My best regards
Francesco

Jim

Grand Master
Damn, i keep getting an error page when clicking on the link .. :rant:

The site opens up with the error message but doesn't show the cleaner .. :down:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).