• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fat pencil

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The 1st. one is hard to make the pencil out and the 2nd. one doesn't look natural, if it's the same pencil in both photos then the first one probably looks more natural even though it's harder to see.

Peter

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Hmmm gotta get me one of these.. got a blank in mind bright yellow.. mainly so I can't lose on my bench in all the shavings.. where is the best place to get one?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Sorry don't like the kit or the pics.
What's the idea of the nut in the middle?
The one piece sketch pencil is by far a better kit IMHO.
Lose the shavings and get the background white, take a horizontal pic not diagonal, many people view these pics on ipads and diag pics takes the whole screen and gives a nightmare to view.
So much that they will shoot to next page without looking at yours.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It's entirely up to you how you want to display your pics.
It's also up to you how considerate you want to be to other confuser users,

I suggest your pic looks best close cropped and horizontal but then who the hell am I to tell you what to do.

DSCF1194.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nice bit of turning mate and by what I can see a very good finish the photos will improve with time like so many of us have improved over time my photos were crap when I first started and they aren't much better now LOL keep em coming

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
The one you can't see is best :thumbs: Like the idea of the nut doesn't roll away :nooidea::mooney2:

I'm not qualified to comment on your photos as mine are still cr'p. I do have two of these in oak which I made for the workshop and the nut does stop them rolling. Great for general marking as fine lead is always breaking under my heavy hands.
I doubt if I would make any to sell though as they are a bit ugly!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Love the kit figure the nut was just for me to weave a little hex magic. The first pic is close look at the chrome its real appearance now comes the arrangement been dealt with already.

Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I would say that without the shavings around the pencil that this would be my choice Barry .. :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Don't wanna nick your thread but I do wanna show the alternative fat pencil.
I nipped down the shed and got my sketch pencil out for a pic as I couldn't find one on my confuser.
This is what I mean by one piece which is a kit I prefer, can't remember where I got it from but I made it years ago when I first took up turning pens.
It has been in my shed and used plenty much, never rolled away but been dropped and knocked to floor many times.
Fits my mitt perfik with my stubby pinkies and does all my marking out, love it and think of Woody whenever I use it.
Woody's blank of spalted sweet chestnut finished with poundland CA and stood up to muchly punishment with stacks of use left in it.
P1090333.jpg

Does your hat come off and make a pencil sharpener as this one does?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).