• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wood turning health and safety

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Do you have or wear a smock when turning i have seen these when visiting the harrogate woodworking show. Or even better how well is you health and safety in your workshop. :thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I'll wear anything or nothing as I turn in the bedroom on polythene sheet and tip it in the bin when finished.

Jim

Grand Master
I have a smock also bought from Harrogate, but once i tried it on the novelty wore off ... :rolling: I mostly wear one of those lumberjack jackets.unless it is really warm ... :ciggrin:

naxie

Registered
I wear one most of the time because I got one cheaply from Yandles through the club.

I find it a quick way to cover up my "normal" clothes. I know from experience CA is sod to get out of my silk cravats.
:bwink:

Austin.jpg
:eeeeek:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I wear one most of the time because I got one cheaply from Yandles through the club.

I find it a quick way to cover up my "normal" clothes. I know from experience CA is sod to get out of my silk cravats.
:bwink:

View attachment 676
:eeeeek:

And here is me worried about my 20 odd year old led zeppelin t-shirt :ciggrin:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I wear a smock when I am doing demos but in my own workshop I usually wear a sweatshirt or something similar with no dangly bits to get caught up.

As far as H&S goes I always use extraction when sanding or using CA. Usually wear a respirator (Airshield) when sanding but not when using CA as it draws the fumes in rather than protecting you. I always wear safety glasses when pen making and a full face visor when making anything bigger and try to remember to wear safety boots.

I never ever turn anything (other than heads) when I am not wearing any trousers.:devil:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I dont own a smock either, i also wear a sweatshirt mostly, and a big wooly jumper when the cold weather is just about bearable. When the freeze comes i stay out of the place. :whistling:

Pete B

Registered
Hi,
i wear safety glasses and have just had to start wearing spectacles underneath if making very fine inside cuts or something similar, so i probably should wear them all the time.
I have paper or cloth type masks of the surgical variety that i bought a full box of a few years ago and they work out really cheap from a medical type supply firm.
A full face shield when making bowls etc, well the roughing stage anyway. Have one of those circular air filters which i don't have on all the time but i should but its noisy, but the noise is better than breathing in unmentionables, so i should know better.
I have a barrel type hoover type extractor that i still haven't got around to fitting some tubing for both lathes when sanding, but i need to have it sound proofed as much as airflow will allow. So it just gets used for cleaning up.
So in short i don't do enough.
i do though have steel toe capped rigger boots, that i had to buy as a condition of entry to a timber place i use. They have never saved me there but as they are comfortable i wear them all the time and they have saved my toes quite a few times in the garage after dropping big lumps.

Pete

Ian

Apprentice Member
He drinks his Martini though a straw. I wear a smock to keep the rubbish out of my clothes then im allowed back in side for lunch :whistling:. and face and breathing protection when needed , I may be should wear boots so I can reach the lathe better:thinks:
Ian

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).