• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Polka Dot ............

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Got out of work on time today................ the first occasion all week....

So for the last hour of work, whilst rounding up various contractors..... Clearing up their shite........., Rallying my own troops...

my mind was on a concept..........
"Polka Dot Pen"

So here it is, African Walnut, with Beech inlays, and a Red Fibre board accent......... Finished on a gun metal European Kit.

It is finished with God awful amount of CA, Micromesh and Hut Plastic Polish...

The poor finish is the poor light during the photo.... :devil:

Jim

Grand Master
I like this Matty, but you need to tell us how you inlayed the beech ... :whistling:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I drilled the blanks to create the pattern, and used a plug cutter (9mm) on a block of beech, then used a lip and spur to frill out the blank in four places..
When the blanks was assembled , I pared off the extra with a sharp chisel, then sand square, then hand cut the blanks to put the firbre boards in place...
I used CA throughout to assemble.

My boys think its really good in the flesh.......... so as a precaution........... Hid it from their mother...:devil:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Brilliant I love it Matty.
You won't believe me because I haven't shown any as yet but I was drilling blanks and inserting dowels at the weekend and some with copper wire.
Had some success but nothing I feel worth showing as yet, I had the copper rip ot on me as turned it down and my dowels came out off center.
I know what I did wrong but haven't had time to retry yet, the blank must be dead square and drilled through dead center to achieve what I was trying to do.
Next effort I will predrill the blank before going through the side walls.

WooHoo my edit button is back Many thanks Jim you are truly are Diamond Geezer

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Very nice, Matty! E best pens are the ones you get an idea for and then plan out. Like George, it may take a few attempts to perfect, but its great when you get it right. Well done!

Jed Baxter

Registered
Nice pen matty, the only thing that i would have done different is to cut the red fiber at an angle. The beech looks really good with a super shine making them catch the eye. :bwink:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Nice pen matty, the only thing that i would have done different is to cut the red fiber at an angle. The beech looks really good with a super shine making them catch the eye. :bwink:

I had considered that, and probably agree with you..
Originally I was going to cut the dowels accros the intersection with the red... at 30 deg....

But there's always tomorrow :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).