• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Scroll Saw

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Well, as you all probably know, I picked up Woody's old scroll saw on Friday and had a bit of a play, but, as the blower wasn't working, I found it difficult to keep blowing and concentrate on the lines etc. So had a quick look and it didn't take a genius to work out the air bag was split. I went on Clarkes website, downloaded the destruction's and lo and behold, there was the part complete with part number, in the blow-up diagram. I emailed them on Saturday but didn't get a response until this morning. The new air bag would cost 39p, yes 39p plus vat plus p&p. So, I'm on the phone at 8:30 to order one, they were in stock so all's well. How much will that be in total, I inquired? £8.50 was the reply. I said the email I had received indicated it would be 39p + vat + p&p, that should be about 47p plus p&p. He said that's right, p & p works out at just over £8. You can imagine what I said to him, the part is only small and barely weighs a couple of grams. Anyway, cutting a long story short, the spares depot for Machine Mart is in Nottingham, gave them a ring and within 1/2 hour had one in my hand for £2.50, still a big mark-up but no postage. Fashioned a bit of pipe and of we go. Rest of the day playing and, taking a leaf out of Woody's book, came up with my own sign. No sanding or cleaning up, just the raw sawn object. Plenty of lumps and bumps but it is my very first go on a scroll saw.

MY KENNEL.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bloody fantastic Dave well done init?
When I read 39p I thought I will get a couple for my saw one to use and one for spare, they don't last long I have found.
Read on further and they can poke it at that price.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's brilliant:thumbs:but when you say"it didn't take a genius to work out the air bag was split" what are you saying about Woody:devil:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Dave whimsical wording mate love it, you have done so well. A small fish tank air pump makes an easy controlled jet or blow of air that can be located out of the way considering your outlay so far and Woodies generousity as a beginner scroll man youve come a long way IMHO.

Peter.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats a fantastic job for a first, second or third attempt Dave :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Another good effort with the scroll saw by a newbie .. Well done Dave .. :thumbs: I also like your your get up and go fetch one manner my friend .. :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well done Dave.:thumbs: excellent, got rid of our scrol saw about 10 years ago:vangry: looks like I may have to get looking for one now I have seen such inspiration on here..:love_it:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys, you're all very encouraging so I will definitely be giving it some more bench time, hopefully it won't be too long as I have an op on my knee cartilage on Wednesday so will be out of action for a little while.:sob::sob::sob:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).