• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning Banksia Pods

Jim

Grand Master
There is many a time when i walk into a turning supply shop i see banksia pods in a basket that are for sale, i have often thouht of buying some of these but never do as not quite sure what they are like to turn. If you have turned some of these i would love to hear how you went about it and what you actually turned from them ... :thumbs:

Banksia_Pods.jpg

The Wood Bucket

I would go to YouTube and search turning banksia pods there are many videos showing people working with them. I have also looked at them, but not sure what I would make with it yet. Someday I will bite the bullet and get one.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Just watched a few videos myself on youtube and now changed my mind about the urge to turn one, sone very nice projects can be made form one of these. :devil:

Including the one from this young Irish lad who gave a good commentry on what he was doing.

WoodTurning Banksia Nut - YouTube

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Hi, i had a go a few weeks ago turning one of these, never again!!!! Make sure the tools you use are very sharp, and sharpen regular. When i finished the project it didn't resemble what i had in mind, in fact it didn't resemble anything :) I am no expert in turning so probably you will perform better than me, when you do just make sure you have a spare on the bench lol. :devil:

Jim

Grand Master
Still not got around to attempting to turn one of these, mind just of late i haven't had much time to turn... :down:

Jim

Grand Master
only with resin filled pens...was not easy..

It really does look good Matty, never would have thought of that until i saw yours. I was thinking along the line of filling in while on the lathe ... :thinks:

Just shows you what can be done with these nuts. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).