• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A pile of poo

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I took a visit to the spring factory today and popped in on a fellow turner whom I have befriended from another forum. (springs on their way to you Dave)
I had a good play in his shed and used his lathe for some lessons from him.
He showed me how he turns aluminium with his own homemade tool which I must say simply slices through metal with ease.
I made this Tri metal Slimline for myself as practice with his tool, Aluminium on a Copper kit with a Brass center band which is a pool cue ferrule it looks proud in the picture but it must be a trick of the light because it is so smooth I love it.
P1070520.resized.JPG

To follow on from another thread I saw these Magnetic cap pen kits in his selection which he told me I was welcome to as they are poo.
I keenly looked through his blank store a whole separate shed full and found a black plastic which I thought would look good (I know, I don't do plastic but I just wanted this pen to be perfect in Black).
Strangest material I have turned so far and it stank like he had farted, must be him I thought to myself because it sure isn't me, he then told me it was tractor tyre I was turning, novel.
He showed me a technique of fine cuts with a huge flat blade chisel no rubbing down and straight on with the ca and polished with kitchen scourer and toothpaste, it was he I first picked up this method from but he does it so easily .
He is right these kits are poo the fit is so sloppy I had to hold the nib and finial in with ca glue no pressing required. A crappy curly clip is cheap and nasty and the pen itself is a stump of a thing and only looks and feels anything with the cap posted.
P1070526.resized.JPG

Armed with this knowledge my next trick will be a longer one, Matey chucked me a laburnum blank and I created this heinous article which is equally poor, I was going to dismantle the cap and use the magnet for my own creation but I think they are so disgusting I shan't bother.
Sorry if you like these kits but I thought a warning was in order here.
P1070532.resized.JPG

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
springs on their way to you Dave

Thanks a ton, Gentleman George!

I love the ally and brass pen (not a fan of ally stuff as a rule) its lovely!

Never fancied the idea of the magnetic cap pens, glad to hear I was right not to. Don't give up on the magnet idea, I'm sure you could do it better.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
George, Your chum isn't called Brian is he ???:

Hi Steven I wouldn't say he is my chum as I met him for the fist time yesterday but yes his name is Brian.
The man is a lunatic on the lathe. He was turning 30" stair spindles in what seemed to be less than a minute each, at FULL speed.
I learned a lot about not what to do as well as what to do, lovely guy calls his wife "my Drain", she was busy doing the garden as a good woman should he said.
They made me very welcome with lunch and plenty of refreshment, I look forward to my next visit.
I believe we have arranged next Thursday again, working weekends can have it's benefits when time off during the week coincides.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Yes, Neil & I both know (& have met) Brian - Neil lives close to him I believe -
Absolute lunatic but a star with it.
Helped me out when I first started and encouraged me on my woodturning way since then.
Has some rather unconventional ideas which would shock most woodturners but, they prove to work (most of the time).
He also made one of the tools I have.
You will learn a vast amount from him I don't doubt.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Maybe you don't like the kits George, but at least you can walk away knowing that you have learnt something new ... Now who would have thought a tractor tyre would look good on a pen, even if it does smell some what ... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I like the innovation that you put into pen making Clumsy, i honestly don't think that they are Poo. :thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Interesting pens there George, would never thought about a tractor tyre. Hmm
have seen photos of pens made from poo, One bloke made one for his boss that chewed ends of pens.

Never meet Brian in person but did corresponded with him a fair bit with PM's on a forum that disappeared into cyber space some where.
Say G'Day from me when you see him next.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Ive seen a lot more pooer ones than these mate. :thumbs: The wooden one does it for me. :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Well I am surprised and pleased with the reactions here, just goes to show how our tastes differ.
I didn't realise Brian was so well known, like me he is a cantancerous old bugger, we did get on well.
As a toolmaker he is faultless, he gave me one of the tools he makes from a socket set and my god the finish he put into it is simply stunning and all done with hand eye coordination.
I did have to show him my sharpening skills of which I am proud, and agree with his statement "if you cant sharpen your tools you shouldn't be using them" it's the most basic requirement of working with them.
He is giving me a lesson on deep boring on my next visit he has a bigger lathe and more room than I have.
I told him his name was mentioned here and he sends his regards to all penturners and has looked in on us.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).