• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Why No Amboyna

Jim

Grand Master
I love this wood, but i have only ever made about 3 or 4 pens with it as it is quite expensive. But i see on this forum that it is used very little by others to. :thinks:

Is it the same reason that i have or do you have other reasons why you do not use it? :nooidea:

IMG_2307.JPG

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I bought one blank........ on request.... from turners retreat... £3.75 I think it was...

was a big order...

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I had some from Vince at Turners workshop and it was stunning, I made Gents gold plated with them and was extremely happy with them.
Unfortunately they disappeared before I could get a picture.
Help for Heroes will be grateful but I fancied keeping one for myself.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Step outside to the US Forum IAP Isacc has always had heaps of Amboyna and I have had lots from him top stuff. To me quite cheap.Also has Chechen Burl, Box Elder Burl, Black Ash Burl.
Theres a mile of Turkish Olive Wood from Istanbul plus other timbers Yards full of top Olive wood.

Some for starters, have fun.

Kind regards Peter.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Can't bring myself to spend the money, Jim. I have tons of other stuff at the mo so no real need.:rolling:

I must admit I did hesitate at the cost but was delighted with the finished product so much that it justified the cost.
When one can get something as naturaly beautiful as Jims pen above why would one want to mess with trying to recreate it in plastic?
My mind boggles.:whistling::whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).