• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Nottingham

Jazzy

Apprentice Member
First Name
John
Hi,
My name is john from Eastwood near nottingham, thought I would try penmaking when I retired,well now I have retired and about to give it a go.
Will be needing advice on everything as I have absolutely no turning tools and no idea.

Any way back to the forum to glean as much info as poss.

John

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello John, welcome to the Asylum mate, don't worry you will get all the help you need from the Inmates here in no time!:wink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I know someone who will invite you to his place for an introduction to the turning world.
It will come I am sure and you would be foolish not to take the offer.
Welcome to the loony bin init?

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums John, plenty of guys in here willing to help you along the road of pen turning ... :thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Hi John and welcome to the forum. I will support what Grump has said and bet you get an invite to have a look at how it should be done. Make sure you accept you will learn a load of stuff.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I know someone who will invite you to his place for an introduction to the turning world.
It will come I am sure and you would be foolish not to take the offer.
Welcome to the loony bin init?

Now who would that be Brian
Hi John firstly a warm welcome to you if you can get to Newark I can run you through the process of turning mind you I'm not very good still learning old and wrinkled and half pi55ed half the time :wink::wink:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Welcome John, Woody jests I'm sure, I've been to see him a few times now and a very generous nice man he is, and very experienced. I started in March and I spent money having lessons with a pro turner in north Nottinghamshire and money well spent too, it set me up very well, but there's not much more you'd get from a pro than you'd get from Woody. If Newark is a bit far for you I'm in Mansfield and certainly don't mind showing you some things :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Now who would that be Brian
Hi John firstly a warm welcome to you if you can get to Newark I can run you through the process of turning mind you I'm not very good still learning old and wrinkled and half pi55ed half the time :wink::wink:

Well I dunno dad but it's a good job you stepped in and saved my embarrassment init?:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Welcome John.
All the nutters on here are from the Midlands!...... and the North, south, America, Australia etc, etc....:whistling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The sources of knowledge come from the desire within, without there are stacks of examples in arts and crafts groups wood groups and over here lately mens sheds community run established for sharing time and equipmant to put you in the way you choose to travel.All the best.:thumbs:

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Nottnum eh! Welcome John, sounds like you have some tuition sorted. Won't be long before you are turning a few heads as well as wood..:thumbs:

Welcome John.
All the nutters on here are from the Midlands!...... and the North, south, America, Australia etc, etc....:whistling:

Don't tar us with the same brush Neil.:nonono: The middlands is the turning centre of the UK...:thumbs:

when everyone gets to it they turn around..:funny:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Allo John. Welcome aboard :thumbs: And don't worry, Woody's not arf pi55ed arf the time........ truth is, Smiffy is his main source of inspiration :devil:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hi and welcome John. There seem a lot of turners in that neck of the woods maybe something to do with that Forest you have up there:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum John, if you do go to newark you will still have to learn to do a proper pen finish, but there is plenty of help on the forum.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).