• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Laburnum and Cherry blanks.

rilanda

Registered
First Name
BILL
I was fortunate enough to have a log of Laburnum and Cherry given me about 2 years ago which I converted into pen blanks. These have been carefully open stacked and dried since then and are showing a MC now of 16%. When would you consider these to be dry enough to make into pens.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Bill. What turning have you done so far? Any pictures will be gratefully viewed by myself and the other inmates. With regards to moisture, I don't know unfortunately.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum, it's ironic you should post this in Tips on how to use these forums. Bring one indoors and weigh it keep it in the airing cupboard overnight and weigh it again if it has lost weight keep doing the same until the weight is stable.

Peter

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Welcome to the forum Bill, I suspect there will be several different answers to your question, but they're all worth taking note of.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The mystery for me is in the UK where you live and where you store your blanks, how soon you cut the blanks up lots of info needed. In the log form each of them needs varying time to cure or ready for turning. I find if they feel damp to the inside of your wrist say and colder tha they are not ready. Near a continuous h/water system helps, I keep mine in my roof space works a treat. Turning one can be revealing in itself. Trust you have success and enjoy the ride Welcome.

Peter.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The mystery for me is in the UK where you live and where you store your blanks, how soon you cut the blanks up lots of info needed. In the log form each of them needs varying time to cure or ready for turning. I find if they feel damp to the inside of your wrist say and colder tha they are not ready. Near a continuous h/water system helps, I keep mine in my roof space works a treat. Turning one can be revealing in itself. Trust you have success Bill and enjoy the ride Welcome.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).