• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

end mill

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
This is a copy I made of Terry's end mill
I'm using pen mills instead of punches and I had
A few chucks so i put on 2.

20141208_180532.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Looking good Frankie, I am sure Terry will be flattered with that mate.
Hope all went well with him too.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very good Frankie, you're certainly knocking up some excellent tools :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's pretty neat.

Peter

kjmc1957

Registered
I was going to do something like this until I got the Sorby Pro Edge, now I just chuck on an old belt that I have put to one side for this job, and no matter if it's a round or square blank they all sit against the gouge jig at 90 deg every time. love it.

edited to make it read as if English is my first language.....which it is, not that you could tell from the original message.....!"

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Good tip for all the pro edge owners but the point of this jig is it works off the tube
keeping the end square
you cant be sure the drill
went straight but working off the tube you can
be sure.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I have missed the point here. What does this achieve that the cheap barrell trimmers dont? The tool as constructed does, as Frankie says work off the tube and aligns the blank square with the sanding disk but the shaft on which the pen blank is mounted will undoubtedly deflect since it is not supported along its length. It also relies on the perpendicular alignment of the tool to the sanding disc (forgetting about deflection). Surely its as well to use the barrell trimmer - admittedly there are woods for which it is unsuitable such as yew where the four or six edge cutter makes mincemeat of the wood, but every device has its down side. Cant quite get how this one wins?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The deflection depends on how you feed in to the disk sander I find it minimal and negligible I use a similar method have done for years now no failures only takes a few failures before you know a method works for you or not so like writing depends on how you hold it how you point it and the pressure applied. There is no perfect all round solution IMHO I have rabbited on for twenty years about handholding my stepdrill on the ends of every blank to tight clean the brass and check the squareness never facing fully with that tool works for me then onto the disk sander.

I appreciate turning for living changes equations this would have me not cleaning brasses with sandpaper and hosts of short cuts.I have a mate who firm presses his blanks never uses glue and has his drills custom made to allow this method.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).