• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Phil's Refills

Jim

Grand Master
I was given a few samples of Phil's refills which i was going to place in some newly turned pens, but last night i decided to place them in some pens i had made earlier ..

The cross refill for me is the biggest difference, probably as this is the refill that i have used the most. The biggest difference that i felt was that it wasn't scratchy and glided more across the paper rather than been guided.

Next was the rollerball, now to be honest i always thought that the Schmidt 888 refills were very good and would take some beating, but the Beaufort refills are up there with them, the difference i felt was that the Beaufort refill wasn't as wet as the Schmidt which didn't leave a smudge ..

The Parker style refills again had a nice smooth glide across the paper, but the Gel refill was a big difference, it was the first time that i had used a Gel refill, if you have a market where you sell many pens carrying the parker refill i would strongly advise that you use the Gel refill, your customers will be very happy ..

You could be on to a winner here Phil .. :winking:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Its good to hear the quality is superb Jim, it would be interesting to see how they rate side by side with the Schmitt. I've just recieved 100 schmitt from Ian at PenShed - Quality Pens, Pencils and Refills at a cost of £54 including delivery. The same from Phil would cost £84.66 including delivery

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I think I saw him contest that Paul or was it a forum offer?
Thanks for the appraisal Jim, I will defo bookmark his website and will use him next time I need some refills init?

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Its good to hear the quality is superb Jim, it would be interesting to see how they rate side by side with the Schmitt. I've just recieved 100 schmitt from Ian at PenShed - Quality Pens, Pencils and Refills at a cost of £54 including delivery. The same from Phil would cost £84.66 including delivery

If you bought 101, the price would come down to £65.65

Compared to the Schmidt roller balls they are much smoother. I am definitely happy to pay the extra.

First Name
Dan
Would that increase the price Dan? ... oh and whats the next pen to be developed?
I am hoping not at all Paul. Next kits arriving will be the omega gunmetal and upgrade gold. Kits in development are a new ball point and also a Jr gent style rollerball and fountain

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thank you Jim for your open and honest review. I'm delighted you like them.

Paul, I can see you're going to take some convincing. Would you be happy to tell me what your 100 Schmidt refills consisted of?

I really do believe in our products, and the feedback from those who have tried them has been nothing short of glowing in direct comparisons with Schmidt, Private reserve, Parker and all the rest of them.

I realise that price is important. At the end of the day, we are a small producer, setting out to provide refills that are of the best possible quality and, we believe, of genuine benefit to pen turners. I am a pen turner myself so I do appreciate what it's all about. We don't make a great deal of profit from each unit sold, but we do need to make some profit in order to continue trading. If we've got our pricing wrong, then clearly its something we might have to review, but quality counts for a great deal too.

If you find you are happy with your Schmidts, and are happy with the price you pay for them , then I am the first to concede that perhaps our refills are not for you. Having said that, there is a growing number of people on this forum who have now have decided they are not as happy with them as they previously thought they were.

Phil

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I am hoping not at all Paul. Next kits arriving will be the omega gunmetal and upgrade gold. Kits in development are a new ball point and also a Jr gent style rollerball and fountain

Sounds excellent Dan, we need more quality choice.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thank you Jim for your open and honest review. I'm delighted you like them.

Paul, I can see you're going to take some convincing. Would you be happy to tell me what your 100 Schmidt refills consisted of?

I really do believe in our products, and the feedback from those who have tried them has been nothing short of glowing in direct comparisons with Schmidt, Private reserve, Parker and all the rest of them.

I realise that price is important. At the end of the day, we are a small producer, setting out to provide refills that are of the best possible quality and of genuine benefit to pen turners. I am a pen turner myself so I do appreciate what it's all about. We don't make a great deal of profit from each unit sold, but we do need to make some profit in order to continue trading. If we've got our pricing wrong, then clearly its something we might have to review, but quality counts for a great deal too.

If you find you are happy with your Schmidts, and are happy with the price you pay for them , then I am the first to concede that perhaps our refills are not for you. Having said that, there is a growing number of people on this forum who have now have decided they are not as happy with them as they previously thought they were.

Phil

I received 100 cross type refills Phil. I don't doubt the quality of your refills a single bit but have had excellent service from Ian and am happy with the quality of Schmitt over the ones that are supplied with the kits and so am fighting his corner a bit.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I received 100 cross type refills Phil. I don't doubt the quality of your refills a single bit but have had excellent service from Ian and am happy with the quality of Schmitt over the ones that are supplied with the kits and so am fighting his corner a bit.

I completely understand where you're coming from Paul. Loyalty counts for a great deal and is hard won, and I would like to think that in the fullness of time, someone like you would fight my corner too.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
Being quite new to this pen turning thing

I have to say that when i got the omega ..it was the first pen i had done with a schmidt refill
i have made just a few and everyone has confirmed how nice they write...i had not come across this style of refill before

I hope that Phil lives up to quality if Dan is considering using them
just my 2 penny worth

Steve

First Name
Dan
Being quite new to this pen turning thing

I have to say that when i got the omega ..it was the first pen i had done with a schmidt refill
i have made just a few and everyone has confirmed how nice they write...i had not come across this style of refill before

I hope that Phil lives up to quality if Dan is considering using them
just my 2 penny worth

Steve
Quality is at the top of my list with regards to my pens. With the reviews coming thick and fast I believe it is an avenue worth investigating. Where I can I like to work with companies with similar values to myself. Ultimately offering quality and good service is key for me.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil

Paul, from your last post I didn't address the price issue, having asked you what your refills consisted of. I'm sorry to tell you though, that Schmidt don't actually make a Cross type, so I don't know what you ordered or received, but they aren't Schmidt. Are they branded Schmidt?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Paul, from your last post I didn't address the price issue, having asked you what your refills consisted of. I'm sorry to tell you though, that Schmidt don't actually make a Cross type, so I don't know what you ordered or received, but they aren't Schmidt. Are they branded Schmidt?

You are right Phil, I hadn't looked before, they're Star refills, made in Switzerland. Do you have yours made for you or branded for your company and these could be the same?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
The "StarRefill" cross type has a nickel plated a brass tip. If you look at the technical page on our website, you'll see why we use a stainless steel tip. No they're not the same.
Beaufort Ink technical info

Then that would explain the extra cost Phil, and shows a superior quality... but I'm not quibbling the quality at all Phil, the cost maybe but you've just shown me why its more expensive. I may just give yours a shot after I used the bunch I got today. :thumbs:

I do like quality and you argue your case very well :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Do they do a sample pack ie 1 of each type of refill, for assessment?

Peter

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
In the past I have also ordered the Schmidt / Starminen brands but my recent purchase from Phil certainly as me won over, all superior quality and a good price. Because of the mix I bought (50 Beaufort) only 20 of them were of the Cross type my cost was £1 more expensive than the alternative, well worth it for the quality.

Also next day delivery, thanks Phil

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
What does one do with all the lesser quality refils that come with the kits if one is replacing them all with better ones.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).