• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

surgical spirit?

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Well guys just wondering if there is any use for surgical spirit in pen turning, or any wood turning for that matter?:thinks:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
If you were having an exceptionally bad day in the workshop you could throw back a tot to numb the pain ... The word 'rotgut' does come to mind though.

:nooidea:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Isn't it pure alcohol? excellent as a cleaner but a killer to drink. It would probably be a good de-greaser but what a stink :nonono::nonono:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
:thinks: WHY ? is the word that comes to mind. Have you bought in bulk or found a free source of the stuff:bwink:
I do have some in the workshop but had it for years and can't remember why I bought it.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I would have thought you could use it to wipe off oily woods.

Peter

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
:thinks: WHY ? is the word that comes to mind. Have you bought in bulk or found a free source of the stuff:bwink:
I do have some in the workshop but had it for years and can't remember why I bought it.

No Bob I just happened to find a bottle of it that we must have had for some reason in the medicine cabinet that is out of date, I wondered if i could use it for something instead of just dumping it, I do recall that many years ago some of the guys in the Navy used to nick it and add Orange etc to it! :vomit:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I use metes spirit to degrease oily woods before applying ca as the ca can sometimes spot where it hasn't taken properly on the timber. The mets dries immediately & leaves no residue.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
No Bob I just happened to find a bottle of it that we must have had for some reason in the medicine cabinet that is out of date, I wondered if i could use it for something instead of just dumping it, I do recall that many years ago some of the guys in the Navy used to nick it and add Orange etc to it! :vomit:

You are probably right Ted, Matlots will drink anything and I know people (no not me, no honest) have drunk things like Brasso strained through the crutch of a ladies skiddies and aftershave. I'm told the aftershave makes you burb brut for days after :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).