• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ringed gidgee

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yesterday Ilya with me received a pack of this most beautiful timber third hardest timber in the world. A member of the Acacia family (remember the references to the Arc of the covenant Timber family). Grows in Arid Australia I have some Purple Gidgee as well so in the next week I will make a pen of each both are rare so excited to add to my stash proving temptation at Christmas is handy. The Ringed effect is like quilted. One day I will break my barrier to portray deep coloured timber.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 58

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Looks really interesting Peter, can@t wait to see how it turns out.
You have some really interesting timbers in OZ

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Looks lovely Peter - you Aussies do have some great material to work with hope to see it finished soon :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Bring on the finished pen Peter, the blank looks like its going to make something special. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi there bit of a busy time for a few days our mission looking after 26 missionaries needs and accomodation with 12 out 26 rotation this weekend means twelve new ones to our area come Monday but I will put together blanks from rare and available Aussie stuff in a day or two occasionally I give them a pen or more from my collection just got home at 9.30 pm giving a young guy from Western Samoa a pen made from African Palm Tree on his Island palm products, coconuts abound in the farming areas. I have visited the islands and made many friends there grabbed a quick pic of the pen will place it on a post shortly.

I find the Gidgee timber incredible the trees hang around for hundreds of years in terrible conditions our new blanks have come from many years dead trees with a moisture content of 7% ie the Ring Gidgee.Bit like the American Desert Ironwood characteristic.

Peter.:thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Another beautiful piece of timber Peter. The nicest timber in the world comes from your neck of the woods mate:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).