• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Add on/s for Scrollsaw

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Due to the number of members that are taking up scrollsawing, I thought I would pass on a tip we use at the club.
Cut a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" board, any cheap chipboard is suitable, the same shape as the table on your saw.
If you cut this on your bandsaw you can run the saw from the nearest edge to the point where the scrollsaw blade will work.
You can then put this board on the table and raise the workpiece 1/2" or 3/4" which allows access to a fresh bit of the blade.
If you make 2 pieces 1/2" thick you can get 3 times the life out of a blade. :thumbs:
PS I use the Olsen blades from www.woodcraftsuplies.co.uk as does the other club members.Never had any problems with them.

Last edited:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
As you say that Don, I was looking at a lathe mod for a scrollsaw and thought what a waste of blade not being used, how about and why don't.
Make a bigger cam and use more of the blade?
Good tip which has nothing to do with my way of thinking but something to bear in mind init?
Thanks.

I'll show the mod when finished, not for everyone but with downsizing I will have sander / Grinder / buffer, table saw and scrollsaw all on the lathe.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A very good tip, thanks Don. I tried to look at that link but got an error.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
As you say that Don, I was looking at a lathe mod for a scrollsaw and thought what a waste of blade not being used, how about and why don't.
Make a bigger cam and use more of the blade?
Good tip which has nothing to do with my way of thinking but something to bear in mind init?
Thanks.

I'll show the mod when finished, not for everyone but with downsizing I will have sander / Grinder / buffer, table saw and scrollsaw all on the lathe.

I am looking forward to see that:banana:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Due to the number of members that are taking up scrollsawing, I thought I would pass on a tip we use at the club.
Cut a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" board, any cheap chipboard is suitable, the same shape as the table on your saw.
If you cut this on your bandsaw you can run the saw from the nearest edge to the point where the scrollsaw blade will work.
You can then put this board on the table and raise the workpiece 1/2" or 3/4" which allows access to a fresh bit of the blade.
If you make 2 pieces 1/2" thick you can get 3 times the life out of a blade. :thumbs:
PS I use the Olsen blades from www.woodcraftsuplies.co.uk as does the other club members.Never had any problems with them.

That's a great tip, Don, I just hope I remember it if I ever get a scrollsaw.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).