• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Engraving initials on pen cap

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I made up a couple of samples for a wedding pen commission I'm working on. Which of the two styles do YOU prefer?

image.jpg

The silver fill is silver glitter soaked with thin CA. The gold filling (didn't come out so well on the photo) is brass filings from the lathe mixed into quickset clear epoxy. I initially tried to do the same as I had with the silver glitter, but this was the result:

image.jpg

:down:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Which of the two styles do YOU prefer
I should decline to answer this question as my answer could well offend but since you have asked I will give my honest opinion.
I liken this to an episode from today's news where some idiot desecrated a portrait of our Queen by spraying paint all over it.
Give me 2 minutes on public television with this subject your Majesty, I promise you I will cure the urge for anyone to perform vandalism in this country ever again.
You are going to create a work of art with a wedding gift set and smother it with Graffiti, ask yourself if that is a fitting way for efforts to be seen.
There is a time and place for everything and this belongs on a promotional give away not a proud present.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I should decline to answer this question as my answer could well offend but since you have asked I will give my honest opinion.
I liken this to an episode from today's news where some idiot desecrated a portrait of our Queen by spraying paint all over it.
Give me 2 minutes on public television with this subject your Majesty, I promise you I will cure the urge for anyone to perform vandalism in this country ever again.
You are going to create a work of art with a wedding gift set and smother it with Graffiti, ask yourself if that is a fitting way for efforts to be seen.
There is a time and place for everything and this belongs on a promotional give away not a proud present.

George, you're brilliant! You have such a way with words ...

... Whatever my personal opinions (perosnally I LIKE desecrating my pens with graffiti) the client has been unmoveable in her demand for initials on the pen cap. Originally she wanted a long missive to her beloved on the barrel too, but I managed to persuade her to buy one of my pen boxes and keep the soppy stuff on the pen box lid. Not a complete victory for the forces of good against evil graffitos, but a definite improvement!

:funny::funny::funny::funny:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
George, you're brilliant! You have such a way with words ...

... Whatever my personal opinions (perosnally I LIKE desecrating my pens with graffiti) the client has been unmoveable in her demand for initials on the pen cap. Originally she wanted a long missive to her beloved on the barrel too, but I managed to persuade her to buy one of my pen boxes and keep the soppy stuff on the pen box lid. Not a complete victory for the forces of good against evil graffitos, but a definite improvement!

:funny::funny::funny::funny:

In that case there can be only one colour and you have not shown white.
I have some slabs of 12mm white Corian, if you can't obtain it I could cut to approx size and send.

Ian

Apprentice Member
The one on the left is nice and clear but for me the lettering is a bit bold it may just be hard to see without it showing on a complete pen

Cheers Ian

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
The customer gave the go-ahead on the oval style initials, and left the infill decision to me. With George's voice ringing in my ears, I opted for an Ash plug instead of the glitter or brass shavings. Better?

photo 2-3.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).